A day spent searching

JaredS

Ran across a bunch of stuff today, including a really nice Griswold waffle iron that was priced out of my range. Most interesting find that I brought home with me is another bundt pan.

image by twillightkids, on Flickr

It's eaten up pretty bad, but for an Alex Hamilton out the door I took it. In the e-tank now; we'll see what it looks like in a bit.

Also picked up a near mint Wagner stylized logo smooth bottom No. 3 for the same price. Not great, but not a bad deal either.

What I didn't pick up:

At an estate sale I happened across there was a Griswold LBL #11 with heat ring and a low dome, raised letter, p/n 471 skillet lid. The pan was a spinner, but didn't appear to have any cracks. The lid was great except for an inch long chip in one edge that was kind of half moon shaped but didn't reach all the way to the inner rim of the lid. They wanted $200 for the pair, a price I maybe should have paid, but I put a silent bid of $70 in on it and get to wait to see if I win the prize (and what a price that would be!).

Also ran across a Grisly LBL No. 5 smooth bottom; it was pretty covered with shallow pitting, not enough to obscure any of the markings at all, but enough to be obvious. I could have had it for $20, and might should have taken that as well, but passed again.

Last was a Griswold corn stick pan #930. Good shape and on sale for $15. The blue book has these listed at $35, which seems to be the going rate on eBay. I may go back and pick this one up, although I really have little use for corn stick pans. What do you guys think?

Last, but not least, a new toy showed up in the post today.

I'm telling myself this will be my last eBay purchase. No. 10, second series, bull's eye maker's mark. There is some pitting in the sidewall inside the skillet opposite the handle, but I can live with that in that location. Otherwise the skillet is in great shape! I am selling the Lodge bundt pan I posted earlier this month to cover the cost of the Erie; all told I'll have probably about $35 in the Erie, depending on how much the bundt pan sells for. And if the pan I picked up today isn't worthy of going on the Bay then I have a slightly beat up pan for myself. I'll take that, I think!

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Oh, also ran across a #12 unmarked Wagner post 1960 at a recycling center. Fella wanted $20 for it, and although that's probably a fair price at an antique store, I couldn't bring myself to pay that at a recycle center for a piece that was rusty enough to obscure possible cracks.

I'd say you did pretty good. I'll pretty much take any CI I can get my hands on for a hamilton or less. The Erie looks to be in very good condition. I'd have probably taken the #12 for $20 as well. At that price you could get 2 or 3 duds for every one good one and still come out ahead in the long run. Plus it gives you an excuse to play in the etank :)

I'd say you did pretty good. I'll pretty much take any CI I can get my hands on for a hamilton or less. The Erie looks to be in very good condition. I'd have probably taken the #12 for $20 as well. At that price you could get 2 or 3 duds for every one good one and still come out ahead in the long run. Plus it gives you an excuse to play in the etank :)

Hah. It looks like the e-tank is going to have its hands full for at least a day with this bundt pan. We'll see if there is anything left after the rust gets eaten.

Amazingly, it actually worked pretty well! Definitely not the prettiest piece I've ever owned, but I think it's actually going to be a decent user, surprisingly enough. Does anyone have any comments ideas about the gem pan I posted pics of a few posts up?

Seems like, if a maker did gem or muffin pans, they did an N.E.S. roll pan. Without markings or a distinctive handle, usually impossible to ID.

Back