Spider Skillet? Camp Oven Skillet?

GBlackwell

Does anybody have any information on this? I've seen ones that are gate marked, but they always had a crack. I finally found one without a crack, but it doesn't have a gate mark.

It's a shallow 12" skillet with lid. When I got it, it was covered in rust without any seasoning. It looked like the previous owner tried using a steel brush wheel to try to clean up the bottom of the lid.

I just got it cleaned up and got one layer of seasoning, plan to take it camping, but I'd love it if anybody knew anything about it.

Attachments

• 20201125_113724.jpg
    20201125_113724.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20201125_113709.jpg
    20201125_113709.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20201125_113656.jpg
    20201125_113656.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 64
That's a nice find. I'm guessing it's BSR because of the way the lid flares out. I seem to recall BSR camp oven lids doing that. Again, it's just a guess.

I was also initially suspecting BSR not just from the lid but from the handle shape but it's not BSR. I have a BSR 12" spider skillet to compare to. The feet are different, rounded pegs on the BSR while these seem more oval at the base. And the bottom edge of BSR is rounded instead of sharp like these.

Here's an older pic of my BSR from when I first got it, before I'd seasoned it. Mine also matches the BSR ones on modemac's page.

36d0f9q.jpg

Dang, I kinda got my hopes up that it was a BSR. That's a really nice looking spider skillet you have there. I like how rounded everything is on it.

I checked the grey book and there is a picture of a Lodge camp skillet produced in the Blacklock foundry with that same flared out lid and raised numbers. It might have been produced by Lodge but who knows? I would call it a mystery camp skillet. A guy I follow on IG cooked his whole Thanksgiving dinner on a hearth with camp ovens and posted pictures. It was pretty cool.

I have seen the identical pan and lid in the OP identified elsewhere as BSR. BSR catalogs from the 1950s include a photo illustration of their "Camp Leg Skillet with Long Handle and Deep Lid" showing the same skewed marking on the lid. The pan shown with the rounded bottom edge is probably later, from the 1960s post-automation.

Back