Old Griddle

MDFraley

A friend of mine's Wife ask me to clean and season this old griddle that belonged to her grandmother which was passed down to her mother. Lyn is in her 70's so I'm quiet certain this old griddle was made sometime around the turn of the century. It's pitted quiet a bit on the bottom (most likely from a coal stove or wood burning stove) but was covered with years of crud. I couldn't see any markings when I brought it home but after a few days in the lye it revealed a few marks that I still cannot find in the books I have. The incised #8 can be seen on the top of the handle and the raised letters of SW are on the underside of the handle. Can any of our members give me a hand with this one? I would love to tell her some history about it if I can. I thought it may have been made at the "South Pittsburg Hollow Ware Works in Tenn". since she and her family were from central Kentucky.
Thanks in advance.
http://imgur.com/a/ckhsz

Raised small letters normally mean applied by molder at time of casting. The excess flashing in the handle hole plus the general design say Wagner recast/copy to me. Most likely by a small foundry (no bottom gate or, if a sprue, hidden by the pitting).

Back