Griswold Collectability

Adam_R.

Hello,

I was just reading a good thread titled "Why Wagner?" and it got me thinking. Why is Griswold so collectible? While their quality doesn't seems doubted by any, most seem to believe other manufacturers produced similar quality products. I wonder how much of it comes down to how cool their logos look and how many different logo designs they made. I feel that their product line lends to being collectible due to how good their logos looked and how many lines you could collect. Even between Griswold products, why are the LBL pieces more desirable than the SBL's? Is it another factor or does it just come down to the LBL's look much better on the bottom.

Curious to hear others thoughts.

Adam

I think the logo gets the largest chunk of the credit. It looks familiar even if it is you first time seeing it. Maybe thanks to the Red Cross. Next would come name recognition. One would at least hear the name in most discussions of cast iron iron cookware, often with the word ‘best’ in the same sentence. Tiffany, Rolls Royce, Gorham, Stetson, Apple and Google all ride that same wave.

Then come a list of emotional factors. Next is supply and demand. The last 10% is based on information like thinking LBLs are older than SBLs; and that your neighbor knows that too.

Hilditch

I think the logo gets the largest chunk of the credit. It looks familiar even if it is you first time seeing it. Maybe thanks to the Red Cross. Next would come name recognition. One would at least hear the name in most discussions of cast iron iron cookware, often with the word ‘best’ in the same sentence. Tiffany, Rolls Royce, Gorham, Stetson, Apple and Google all ride that same wave.

Then come a list of emotional factors. Next is supply and demand. The last 10% is based on information like thinking LBLs are older than SBLs; and that your neighbor knows that too.

Hilditch

All of which drives the price for a Griswold up, and a big part of why I have a lot more Wagner than Griswold in my collection.

Back