GRISWOLD Cast Iron Griddle Fry Pan ERIE PA No 739C

TaraP

Hi everyone!
I just bought a GRISWOLD Cast Iron Griddle Fry Pan ERIE PA No 739C but I can't find out when these were manufactured. I have looked for 2 days but not having any luck.
Can someone help me please :)

Thanks,
Tara

This is one of those cases where having the blue book would have saved you a couple of frustrating days. 739 is the p/n for a #9 regular griddle, and I'm guessing has the slant logo with "ERIE, PA, USA" beneath it or on it somewhere. Photos, if available, can also speed up the identification process greatly. If it is as I describe, and is in "excellent condition" it would be from ~ 1909-20 and worth ~ $35-$50, depending on which variation it is.

So the letters behind it - does that matter? Let me post a pic...

Thanks Doug!!

Attachments

• Griswold 739C.jpg
    Griswold 739C.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
The letter is just a pattern identifier. See: http://www.castironcollector.com/numbers.php for more info. One with the same characteristics as yours is shown in the blue book valued at $35.

This griddle apparently went through some changes as seen in the form of ghosts on some of them. The trademark was at one point in the center, with just "ERIE", and there were no reinforcement bars. The logo was moved to the bottom when the bars were added. Also interesting about the ghost marks is the centered logo is seen oriented 90° from the normal.

Good morning Doug,

I did read that Thursday when I purchased my griddle. Do you know the year of the 739? That is what I am having trouble finding.

I love all the information this site has. Being new to collecting (I inherited several pieces from my Grandmother and Mother, but there are a few I'd like to have. I keep hearing how wonderful Griswold's are and so I purchased a Griswold griddle (and just because I loved the shape, a Griswold brownie pan.
Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• brownie cake pan.jpg
    brownie cake pan.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 16
Pattern numbers do not coincide with a particular year; only a range of years of manufacture can be estimated. As mentioned above, this griddle's period of production appears to have been between 1909 and 1920.

Doug, I am so sorry I didn't read it that way. I guess I didn't have enough caffine when I posted my question. Thank you SOOO much for your help! I paid not much more than the $35; I'm happy!

Have a great weekend!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

What can you tell me about the brownie/cake pan?

I'd love your expertise on it too!

Thanks a million!
Tara

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

The letter is just a pattern identifier. See: http://www.castironcollector.com/numbers.php for more info. One with the same characteristics as yours is shown in the blue book valued at $35.

This griddle apparently went through some changes as seen in the form of ghosts on some of them. The trademark was at one point in the center, with just "ERIE", and there were no reinforcement bars. The logo was moved to the bottom when the bars were added. Also interesting about the ghost marks is the centered logo is seen oriented 90° from the normal.

Doug - can you explain more about your comment and the 'ghosts' & your comment about the logo is oriented 90' from the normal. What does that mean?

You are just TOOO smart for your own self! (and I'm sooo glad you are!) :-D

I have never 'collected' CI - just always used the few pieces I had and then inherited from my Grandmother and now my Mom.

Thanks for your help! I'll hush now (or at least for the moment)!!!

Have a great weekend!!

Back