Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 09-21-2021, 02:43 AM

Default How to Season Fine Details?

For examples, a cornstick pan where getting a thin film of oil is impossible because the wiping doesn't get into the depressions. Or even one of those pointy lined lids where getting in and around all the points is very difficult. Or fown in the bottom of grooves and logos in bottoms or in nunbers? What are people doing?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2021, 08:12 AM

Default Re: How to Season Fine Details?

Personally, I really dont do anything. I mean, I use Pam to protect them during times of no usage. I f you wipe the whole thing 2 times, then 2 more to try to rub off the Pam. I never have really did different. The logos and numbers and such will be fine Id say.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:57 PM

I find the area where the bail attaches to the side handles on DOs to be a pain to season. I've found using a silicone basting brush works very well. Before you wipe off all of the oil you are using for seasoning, just swipe the brush through an area that has obvious 'extra oil' and then brush it onto / into the tough to get nooks and crannies. Works a treat.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:10 PM

I appreciate the help. i have been trying brushing. Everything from a bristle pastry brush to one of the silicone things to blow tip artists brushes. I'm finding if a brush will put it on it's too thick. I'm thinking of trying spraying or working with solvent thinned oil (likely both) but I wanted to check around in case I would be re-inventing the wheel./

Last edited by John_Sterling; 09-21-2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-24-2021, 04:34 PM

Thinning the oil 50% with solvent and running it through an airbrush works nicely. But my pigment is troublesome. It is lumpy ( extremely small lumps) so the oil needs to be filtered. A few more hours in the sun for the solvent to flash off and I'll throw them in the oven and see what I get.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:30 PM

Corn stick pan is out of the oven after the first coat. Got a few shiny spots on the flats I'll have to scuff but the details of the kernels is perfect. I'm happy for my first attempt given the problems I was having with the equipment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one coat cornstick.jpg (89.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-24-2021, 11:17 PM

The grill pan is even better. The usual hassles with the lodge roughness but the smoothed top of the ridges is just right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grill pan first coat.jpg (67.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-27-2021, 04:47 PM

I bought this bag of 'industrial' qtips at one of the home improvement stores (home depot or lowes) I think you can order it online and have it shipped.
these are handy on waffle irons and things with a lot of detail for getting both oil into tight spots and excess oil out of tight spots.

https://i.imgur.com/leGYBNM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kcKu6WS.jpg
Old 09-28-2021, 03:05 PM

interesting. I like the low lint part. I tried regular Q-tips and they failed. At the moment I'm wrestling with rust forming in the bail joint of a DO. hard to get into.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:54 PM

yeah, they are much different from a normal qtip... wooden stick of various lengths and thicknesses and 4 or 5 different size tips. I've used them on the bail attachment of dutch ovens... depending on how many different pieces and what they are that I'm seasoning at the same time I can use one swab for 8-10 pieces before the cotton starts falling apart.