Griswold #8 Waffle Iron

John Ziebart

Hi,
Can someone explain how the two half's stay together other than the weight of them? Everything "fits nice" and stays "opened" in the opened positon but nothing is holding them together when closed other than the weight of the top half of the iron. What am I missing?
Ball Hinge, no Mirror image / Both halves the same, Top #314 ,bottom #315
Thanks

Attachments

• Ball hinge.jpg
    Ball hinge.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 22
Your hands grasping both handles and also not lifting the ball end out of the socket in the base they rest in keeps the paddles together as you rotate to flip. Lugs fitting in recesses on the insides of the handle shanks, or the prongs on their sides in this case, keep the paddles from slipping apart sideways.

Nope. That older irons with fixed hinges are often seen broken/repaired does much to explain the rethinking of the design.

The waffle iron is made up of 3 pieces, the 2 paddles and a base. I don't see the base in your picture so I'm not sure you have it. When the 2 paddles are together the ball end fits into the socket on the base. Hope this helps,

Thanks Bob, No I don't have the base,I might try to chase one down,Got this just for nostalgia ,not so much to cook waffles with ; )
I'd like to find a base to complete it,whats the difference between a bailed ring and a handle ring? (see chart attached )

Attachments

• base info.jpg
    base info.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 10
Back