Griswold #8 painted

EdP

I located a #8 Griswold skillet that appears to have been painted. I haven't seen it yet, but the seller is asking $40 for three skillets including this Griswold. Since I don't know yet if the paint is a water based latex or an oil based paint, could this skillet be salvaged for use? I was thinking sandblasting would be the way to go, but the concern would be residue or residual molecules on surface that might/could render it unsafe for cooking use. Thoughts?

https://goo.gl/photos/5x9HbBtwiMGQJJa19

More likely factory enameled. Skillet painters usually choose black to disguise defects.

Ok thanks DougD. If it is enamel and it does look like it, it has a rough looking bottom as someone tried grind it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a Wagner that was painted black and after some time in the lye it actually turned out the be the nicest pan I have purchased yet. If you are careful and closely inspect it you should be able to see if it was painted to hide something or if it was painted because the person did not know what they were doing. But like Doug said it could also be enamel

Back