Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 08-20-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Dremel for Cleaning Stubborn Crud

I know (powered) wire brushing is a terrible idea on vintage CI, with the distinct possibility of damaging the finish. I have discovered there is a power-assisted way to get of stubborn carbon deposits and even some rusty spots: a Dremel with the rubber brush buffing attachment. Used on the low setting, this will get those last stubborn bits off very quickly with no ill effect on the piece. I had the realization while working to clean off some skillets that had been in my lye bath for a couple of weeks and still had some baked on carbon. I've used the same attachment to remove limescale in vintage espresso machine restoration, and recalled it left no marks on bronze, brass, and stainless work pieces. Sure enough, it got the crusty carbon right off and - used carefully on the low setting - leaves no scratches or buff marks. It's particularly helpful for getting residue out of lettering/numbering grooves.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2021, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Dremel for Cleaning Stubborn Crud

An Air Eraser is very handy too.But It works such a fine area (a pencil line width at minimum) that it can be tedious. It it will blow things as fine as pumice or household baking soda up through 240 and 400 grit aluminum oxide and others. At low pressure it won't cut through paper (much less iron), at higher pressure it will etch glass and then some harder things.

Last edited by John_Sterling; 09-24-2021 at 09:09 AM.