ID help for unmarked skillet

Shawn R

We hit the local flea market this morning and picked up a few pieces. We got one that we just don't know what it is. Any thoughts?

The other pieces we got are a #9 Wagner Ware skillet in great condition, #8 3 notch Lodge, #8 BSR, unmarked Square Skillet that we believe is a Wagner and the unknown item below.

Attachments

• 2015-5-2 cast iron 030s.jpg
    2015-5-2 cast iron 030s.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 2015-5-2 cast iron 031s.jpg
    2015-5-2 cast iron 031s.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 2015-5-2 cast iron 032s.jpg
    2015-5-2 cast iron 032s.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 174
These are common as of late, but maker is unknown. I think I've seen them referred to as the "mystery southern skillet" since that's almost exclusively where they show up.

Indeed, a SMS or Southern UFO. Most are seen with a raised number sequence on bottom in either 7 or 8 size. I have had two # 8's, but have seen others with no raised numbers, except handle top. All have had the handle reinforcement and small spouts.

The handle reinforcement resembles an early Erie(I know it's NOT), the raised size number looks like the same style as some older CI I've seen. The heat ring is similar in size to Lodge and BSR. Any idea of time frame of production? I'm thinking maybe from the '50s, but I'm new at this.

I'd say more like '30s or '40s. Maybe even a bit earlier.

But that's just my semi-educated guess.

Nice skillet one way or another.

I believe earlier too by the handle style. Lodge has come up in the subject of these but not by me, nor can that be confirmed to date. Indeed they are very nice skillets.

My two cents may mean nothing but I too have an exact type skillet right down to the details mentioned in the above reply's except mine has a gate mark on the bottom and has a raised 7 on the top of the handle small pour spouts at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and heat ring. Mine has an unwanted feature (hair-line crack at the 12 o'clock position) but I have been using it as a bacon fryer anyway. It is light weight and thin compared to other skillets I have. I purchased from a local antique store here in Houston so the southern location seems to be spot on. If the gate mark is true to form I would think it would date to pre 1900 or there about but I am less than one year into collecting so I am not sure.

These are common as of late, but maker is unknown. I think I've seen them referred to as the "mystery southern skillet" since that's almost exclusively where they show up.

My circle of collector friends are calling them Lodgelocks or Blacklodge. One in good condition with the heat ring and gatemark has tripled in price. Could be after the Blacklock foundry burned, the new Lodge family used older skillets as mould makers. I have seen the same skillet style with and without the gatemark. ?????? Pure speculation. They clean up well and are easily seasoned.

I am hesitant to attribute them to lodge. The #8 example I have remaining is visually smaller than a solid ring arc logo circa pan, with the same circa arc logo lid not fitting. If they are lodge, they really strayed away from what we do know they were producing right after the fire. We will probably never really know.

If I get luck hopefully the skillet I have will be part of this post. I was going to submit as a new post but since there was so much going on here I thought this was where I need to put it. As mentioned in an earlier post I do not know anything about this piece and the identifying marks are similar to the one ShawnR has posted other than the gate mark on the bottom.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 87
If I get luck hopefully the skillet I have will be part of this post. I was going to submit as a new post but since there was so much going on here I thought this was where I need to put it. As mentioned in an earlier post I do not know anything about this piece and the identifying marks are similar to the one ShawnR has posted other than the gate mark on the bottom.

Interesting. I recently came across a piece on eBay similar to this, but it did not have any markings on the bottom of the pan, just some casting defects / excess material near the heat ring, similar to the one you posted but not as significant. The only identifying mark was a raised 7 on the top of the handle.

Of interesting note, a friend of mine on FB found an SMS about a week back with a definite and intentional notch at the 12 oclock. The plot thickens....

Weird or should I say an ERIE handle. When I looked at the photo I was staring real hard looking for the gate mark. Definitely an older skillet.

Back