Info on unusual Piqua ghosting ??

Jody M

This is one of the 11 skillets I picked up at an auction last Saturday. Its a #8 Piqua favorite ware with the smiley logo. When I took it out of the e-tank and rinsed it off, I realized that there is some ghosting that reads "THE BEST TO COOK WITH". I believe that is how older Piqua ware was marked. You can also see a faint rectangular outline around the entire logo. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about how/why this pan is like this? Maybe Piqua altered an old mold to a new logo to save on cost??

Attachments

• Piqua ghost 002.jpg
    Piqua ghost 002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Piqua ghost 001.jpg
    Piqua ghost 001.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 39
All the manufacturers made a practice of pattern modification to some degree or another. How diligent they were or were not in subsequently keeping up with pattern wear and its artifacts varies. The old Favorite Piqua motto actually reads "The Best To Cook In".

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/ghosts.php

Thanks for the link Doug. Pretty interesting. It seems to me that this would be an example of an existing mold being modified to create a new pattern. From your experience, is there a market in the collector world for these kind of pieces?

I have the same pan but with an odd font 7.

Collectors pay them no mind, as they are considered flawed.

As noted in the last paragraph, there isn't any type of published guide that assigns values of pieces with ghosts vs. those without. While they are a curiosity, they are also technically an imperfection, or at least a lapse in quality control. They are also seen often enough to not be considered especially rare.

Also, to clarify terminology, a pattern is used to create many molds, but each mold is only used once and must be broken away to release the casting.

So Rob, you believe the ghosting actually hurts the collector value? Either way, I think it makes it more unusual and interesting. It will probably be a "keeper".:icon_thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

As noted in the last paragraph, there isn't any type of published guide that assigns values of pieces with ghosts vs. those without. While they are a curiosity, they are also technically an imperfection, or at least a lapse in quality control. They are also seen often enough to not be considered especially rare.

Also, to clarify terminology, a pattern is used to create many molds, but each mold is only used once and must be broken away to release the casting.

Thanks for the clarification Doug. That's one of the things I really like about this site, it is a great place to learn more about this fun hobby.

If both are otherwise undamaged, I wouldn't say a ghostmarked piece is worth any less than a non-ghosted one.

I find the casting oddities fascinating, as they show a little into the process. The way things are now, everything is exactly the same.

OH, you can see a ghost of the old logo? Melt it back down!

On of my favorites is a big No. 12 that they didn't even try to hide the Griswold logo. Mine was bottom gated, but I've seen other examples of this same pan side gated and the Griswold logo is plain as day.

IMG-3273,medium.1404973291.JPG

EDIT: And after they were bought, CHF blocked out their logo.....
Chicago-Hdwe-Favorite-no-3-bottom,medium.1406179707.JPG

Full size photo here: http://irregularphotos.com/albums/cast-iron-cookware/content/chicago-h/lightbox/

Last edited:
I'm with you Rick, I find myself attracted to the history behind these pieces. I buy and sale some skillets to support my "addiction", but I usually end up keeping pieces that appeal to me for whatever reason. Well, I'm off to meet my daughter. We're going to a nice country auction today. I could see in the pics that they have a Griswold's Erie #12 that hopefully will be coming home with us.

Back