New “Collector”

Pat_G

Happy New Year everyone.
Longtime user/accumulator - New collector.
Been using since 1974 when I picked up a #8 skillet as a young single guy who needed something to cook with. Added another skillet and a #8 Dutch oven. Those have my every day users ever since. That first skillet (Taiwan :p) is smooth as silk, and only needs a water rinse and wipe after use.

As far as being an accumulator; I’ve always liked the feel of CI, and along the way I’ve picked up several pieces from relatives and friends; the latest being a box of assorted from my brother that he aquired from other family members.

Started looking at the different one’s I had, and looking on the internet for information on the different styles and logos. Found this site and was amazed at all the information available. One of them was about the history of the BSR Cornbread Skillets, and the difference between the pat. pending and made in the USA logos.

Soon after we’re out looking for other things at an antique mall, and I see the attached. I like it’s look, feel, and condition. Because of the article, I see it’s pat. pending. I think I have it’s big brother in one of the boxes at home, so I get it.
$17. Too high, good deal?; don’t know yet. But, i’m getting ready to use it, so time will tell. But, maybe now I’m starting to be a collector.

Best to all and I’ll be back with questions,
Pat_G

Attachments

• BF44983D-9267-4BDB-A32D-2D1F9BF612DC.jpg
    BF44983D-9267-4BDB-A32D-2D1F9BF612DC.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 27B913FE-A6A0-4226-917C-0610D5735DB8.jpg
    27B913FE-A6A0-4226-917C-0610D5735DB8.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 17
Welcome to the forum.

The BSR six wedge corn bread skillet was discontinued in the early '70s and thus had a much shorter production run than the larger eight wedge model. AFAIK all known examples of the six wedge have the "pat. pending" mark and it is believed by some that the "pat. pending" mark was switched to "made in USA" on the larger model around the same time the smaller six wedge was discontinued.

It's not exactly rare but it is less common than the larger eight wedge model. I don't think $17 was an unreasonable price.

Back