New guy to cooking

Nik Boldrini

I am 71 years young and my cooking experience involves soup and hamburger helper. I never touched a cast iron pan in my life. Then one day I found a Griswold waffle iron in a Value Village for 25 bucks. I though..."what the hay..." Soon I was cooking delicious wafffles. Next visit to the store I bought a samll logo Griswold skillet. I could barely see part of the circle it ws so encrusted with grease. It was only $7.99 so I took the plunge. I got cleaning and seasoning tips on Youtube and it turned out good as the day it was manufactured (between 1939 and 44). I keep cruising 2nd hand stores but cast iron stuff is rare. I broke down and ordered a $15 #3 matching Gris on ebay. Guess I got the bug now. Wife has caught me cooking twice now! I though I would join this website to learn more.

Attachments

• 20151027_210552.jpg
    20151027_210552.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20151027_210640.jpg
    20151027_210640.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 28
  • 20151027_210714.jpg
    20151027_210714.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 23
Wait for it, it's going to get worse.

I've taught many people how to fly fish, and actually get them to land their first fish. They always have that same look - this is going to be one expensive fish :chuckle:

Three years ago a fisherman on the gulf coast of Florida told me fresh caught fish cost about $100 a pound. He mentioned the boat, gear, bait, etc. but not CI. It came from the heart, as he was not doing well. Hopefully it is better in Alberta, but I know Ontario is suffering.

Hilditch

I am not concerned about cost. My goal is to end up with turn of last century pans. I am centering on Griswold and when I get a 10 and a smaller size I will be happy. I plan to sell off any good buys on ebay and that will help pay for the really old vintage ones. I simply like handling pans and things that have "history". One would think that would be a common feeling but my wife ain't got a CLUE! :-| heheh.

I am not concerned about cost. My goal is to end up with turn of last century pans. I am centering on Griswold and when I get a 10 and a smaller size I will be happy. I plan to sell off any good buys on ebay and that will help pay for the really old vintage ones. I simply like handling pans and things that have "history". One would think that would be a common feeling but my wife ain't got a CLUE! :-| heheh.

Some collect and sell, other collect and keep. I love the history behind old cast, when you finally identify an old piece then wonder how it came to my hands. It's a story that will never be told but...

Enjoy your new addiction!

I've actually begun to focus on pre-1900 pans.

If you want the early 20th Century pans, focus on those with outset heat rings. If Griswold, look for the "LBL" (Large Block Logo), or even the "Erie" pans.

No matter what others may say, this is not an addiction. I can stop at any time. I'm only looking for one more pan. Really.

Bet it sure made a fun vacation, Dan! (Am jealous--must go purge bad thoughts by cleaning up another of my WAY too large collection.) ;) And Nik, have fun learning to cook. There is romance there--but do learn to clean the pans yourself--it'll make the wife much happier.:p

Back