Help with a Griswold

KyleB

Hey everyone! What a wonderful community of extremely knowledgeable and helpful people you have here! I am hoping you may be able to help me out. Yesterday, I purchased a Griswold 699B at our local flea market. Long story short, I paid $20 for it, so no matter what, I didn't get hurt on it.

Anyways, I've cleaned it up bit, but still have a long ways to go. I have been attempting to research this skillet for hours now, but I can't seem to find another 699B with this particular stamping. There are many other ones with other stampings, but none like this one. At least none that I can find, which is why I'm here! I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on it. When was it manufactured? Is this stamping unique or something? What would you value it at? Any information at all would be very much appreciated.

Some pics:
IMG_2328.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

See: http://www.castironcollector.com/griswoldskillets.php

If no damage, $20 is a steal. Bear in mind that CI is not stamped with the markings, they are incised into the pattern. Unless a pattern (not a mold) is destroyed after making only one pan, the chances of that pan being unique are quite unlikely.

Thanks for the link, that was very helpful! From what I can gather there, this particular skillet was made anywhere from 1907-1909, which is really cool. Do you have any idea what a ballpark value would be? I don't plan on selling it, but it would be neat to know that the piece I paid $20 for may actually be worth something.

A flea market near me has one priced at $175. I was offered 30% off but still passed. Checking eBay sold listings, searching "Griswold's Erie" (in quotes) to narrow results to just this marking, will give the best idea of current values.

Nice skillet Kyle, that pan looks recently familiar. Lots of info here to read threw, and a few pieces you may see that will get you looking for a few more.

I myself am about 87% user and 13% collector, your # 6 will make some nice omelets in the future.

This is a neat skillet, my favorite series of the Griswolds.

My first or second post to these forums was about a #12 of this series I found at a yard sale. I've always wanted to collect all of the skillets, but I must say they have been very tough to find. I've never seen another in the wild, and even infrequently on eBay. Good score!

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate the help! I'll be keeping my eye out for more. He also had some of the "Good Health" ones there, too. I may bring one of those home next week.

Back