Erie #7 Bean Pot

Mike_M

Picked this up today, not cleaned up yet. It does not say griswold, just Erie 10'91 797 #7 on the bottom. Its 3 legged. I'm guessing it is pre-griswold? What is its purpose and estimated value?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-144059_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-144059_Gallery.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210328-144041_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210328-144041_Gallery.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 19
Im assuming its Pre Griswold too. The size may make it rarer due to the fact is kind of an off size. Not rare but not common either. Its nice anyways, Id use it.

Thanks, what is it intended to be used for that would be different than a dutch oven and what is the ring on the side for?

Pieces marked ERIE are Griswold. "Pre-Griswold" is an often-seen but incorrect term for them. The ring is an assist handle for pouring.

Pieces marked ERIE are Griswold. "Pre-Griswold" is an often-seen but incorrect term for them. The ring is an assist handle for pouring.

Doug, I see this discussion a lot. While it is true that the Griswold family owned the factory and the ERIE pieces were made in the same factory as the Griswold marked ones, I still see it as being true that they were "pre-griswold" in the sense that they were "before" the Griswold logo. Semantics I guess.

Thanks, after researching I see it is griswold but an early version from 1880-1907 when they used just the "erie" logo. Is it as sought after without the griswold large block logo?

I still see it as being true that they were "pre-griswold" in the sense that they were "before" the Griswold logo.
I've always seen it akin to someone trying to call the earliest Model T automobiles, which didn't say Ford on the radiator, "pre-Ford".

Currently cleaning it up. What would a rough value be, or how do I determine? Haven't been able to find one that sold.

Back