Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > General Cast Iron

Notices

General Cast Iron General Cast Iron Cookware Topics and Q&A

Old 10-21-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Collecting Vs Using

So, just a little curious as to the general consensus around here. I have a few newer pieces that the wife has added to the CI collection for me, the wildlife series. She and I were talking about hanging them on the wall. Then the other morning I went to fire up the stove and place one of the skillets on there. She stopped me and asked me what I was doing.

Long story short she said that if I used it she would prefer me not to hang it on the wall due to the oil residue. I assured her it would all be ok.

Then I wondered, do you have any pieces that you REFUSE to use or just wonít use because you collect it?? Itís like wine, it betters with use!! Or, am I wrong here. How do you feel?
Old 10-22-2018, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Collecting Vs Using

I think your answer will be kind of dynamic depending on the reason each person collects. What makes most iron collectable is its enduring qualities as fantastic cooking pieces. You will have some people who collect and use it just for that reason but many others collect it as a way to hold or preserve a pieces of history.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 PM

I collect Wapaks, love them all, but I wont cook in my #10 Indian Head. I also have a #9 2nd Series ERIE that is in near perfect shape. I dont use it either.I use my whole set of Wapaks every day, one skillet or another, and they serve me well, but I have a special place in my mind for the Indian Head.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:04 PM

Many use and display all of their Iron. Others have special display pieces that never get used and other pieces that are their users. I am a mixture of both styles. I have some users that I also display, and I have some display pieces that never get used. One example for me is the newer Lodge buffalo nickel pan. I had mentioned that I really liked it and that Christmas I received one from two different family members. I display them but they donít get used because I prefer my older pans as users. If I had the wildlife series I wouldnít use them for the same reasons.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 AM

Interesting responses.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:28 PM

I promised my wife, ďI wanted buy anything Iím not going to use.Ē So ... I use them all at least once. I figure that l way Iím technically fulfilling my promise. Ha!

I also hang a bunch of them on the wall, even so I use often. Iíve never had a problem with them leaving any oily residue in the wall.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:59 PM

" a griswald ash tray (dont smoke)"

You can use it to make your own version of an egg mcmuffin. You need another pan though to flip it into.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 PM

Greg, that is a wonderful picture! I really enjoy seeing how others display their collection.

Well, I have so much cast iron that is merely......just sitting. Itís out in the garage with all of my Dutch ovens, just sitting there. Iím not getting any enjoyment out then whatsoever, and I enjoy cooking a great deal. Spoke to a dear friend today, my mother and she said, ďwell, what good are they doing you just sitting there? Youíll never sell them because you enjoy them far to much. Get your use out of them, and your children will remember that Ďmealí you use to cook from this one or that one.Ē She a wise woman. So, over the next week I have a lot of cast iron to break out and start to use.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:24 PM

I've used about 80% of my pieces. The ones that haven't gotten used are primarily my enameled pieces. Over 140 pieces and counting.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM

I have a crusty rusted and pitted kettle that I doubt will ever get used, or even restored. I also have a monster sized skillet #20 that won't even fit on my stove top or in my oven that I have never used. It has been used as a oil drain pan for a car (yuck) by the previous owner. The rest of the stuff I have gets used.