Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:00 AM

Default Is Cast Iron Difficult to Find in Your Area?

I live in East Texas and cast iron is readily available. I can drive a few miles and find lots of quality BSR, older Lodge, the Wagner’s and Griswolds. We have a flea market in Canton, Texas which covers almost 50 acres. I probably saw over 10,000 pieces of cast-iron there last month. The problem here is finding Wapaks, Puritan, Favorite, and a few others. But there is lots and lots and lots of iron here. Wondering what the situation was in your specific location.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Is Cast Iron Difficult to Find in Your Area?

I think it's nothing more than the biggest companies made the most CI so you see more of their brands. I live 40 miles from the Vollrath foundry (they're still heavy in the cookware business, just not CI). I live a little over 100 miles from Chicago. Despite my close proximity to where they were made, I very rarely find any Vollrath on my CI hunting excursions and only own a couple pieces as a result. Same goes for CHF pieces. On the other hand, I see BSR, Lodge, Wagner, and Griswold just about everywhere I go. On the relatively few opportunities I've had to go CI hunting outside of Wisconsin, I was surprised the proportions by brand didn't seem to vary much. In central PA, for instance, I would have expected to see a lot more Griswold, but it seemed to me to be about the same as anywhere else I've been. Down south? Expected less Wagner & Griswold, more Lodge & BSR, but again, it didn't seem to vary.

Puritan was actually made for Sears at first by Favorite, and later Griswold.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:18 AM

I’m in Marietta, GA and my Sales territory covers the west side of the state from Columbus to Chattanooga. Lots of cast iron in antique stores. Don’t usually find any in thrift stores. Most of what I see is Lodge, BSR and a little Wagner. Not much Griswold and when I do see it, the prices are high.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:15 PM

I'm in Northern Delaware, just south of Philly, and you rarely see cast iron in thrift stores. You can find pieces in some of the antique stores around here but the items are almost always overpriced. Same with Craigslist. Next week I am going to venture down to lower Delaware and see what some of the shops down there have. Most of what I have seen has been Wagner & Lodge, occasionally a Griswold and BSR.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:26 PM

I am in Mass. Quality iron is becoming quite difficult to find. Plenty of it at the antique stores but usually marked well above value considering condition. Craigslist is almost always overpriced as well. Flea markets are my bread and butter, competition is stiff (though friendly).
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM

I live in Northeast GA and have noticed that Lodge and BSR are by far the most common quality brands I run into. Unmarked Wagners are also fairly common. Everybody that sells iron seems to think the Griswold name is gold and priced accordingly, older Wagners are the same way. I have found some good deals on those, but they are few and far between. I seem to have my best luck in fleamarket type stores. CI is usually the first thing to go at yard sales and I'm usually to lazy to get up early enough for those deals.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:11 AM

New member here!! I live in Alberta, Canada. I live in the country and make a point to go to thrift stores every week. I'm REALLY lucky if I even see a piece of CI. I see some online, but it's really expensive and I like restoring it myself. I just started that and I'm hooked!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:52 PM

This is an interesting question. I am in Lubbock Texas and I hit estate sales, garage sales, Goodwill, and flea markets if you want to call them that here.
The secret to finding a good deal is to keep at it and do as much searching as you can, but make it fun and exciting so you will keep doing it and you will score big time. Knowledge is power and I think we all get burned one or twice, but over all I find BSR, Lodge, and unmarked Wagner's. Most estate sales the cast iron is a little under retail and most of the time I will walk away unless I know it is something special or I don't have it for my collection. I am seeing a lot of Asian cast iron now and I even walked away from a cast iron kettle that had "Made in China" on the bottom yesterday. I can spend that 10 dollars on something better. I go to Antique stores and WOW some of the prices are outrageous. But I get a feel on what the market is doing. Yes with the younger generation desiring cast iron it is only going to drive the prices up even higher. Another problem is people use Ebay to check prices before them mark an item and that is a very expensive place to buy cast iron. It becomes a compound problem driving prices up. But good deals are out there and we all have success stores of a great find.
I love the search and I love taking something old and bringing it back to life and using it. It is the nostalgia of cooking in a skillet that is over a 100 years old has an appeal for me. It is the love of cast iron and using it that keeps me going and forever searching.
That is my two cents worth, two copper cents that is.
Kevin from TX.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Tunnell View Post
I go to Antique stores and WOW some of the prices are outrageous.
I wonder. I hear this sentiment a lot. I understand a piece costing more than a person is willing to pay, especially for the folks around here who all have plenty of the black stuff, but at what point does an item stop being overpriced? Maybe that's just what prices are now.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:16 PM

Exactly Christian,when I first started I was willing to pay $75 for a Martin spider skillet with out lid and rusted bad,and drive 50 miles one way,now I found one with lid and looks new,for $20 and I was thinking,why that much?of course I bought it,when you have more pieces than you need,every thing is expensive, here the the people thinks if it is full of carbon it is old and ask a lot of money and when the good stuff comes up on line only last 30 min when I call is sold,only flea markets are low on prices they think all is same brand until they see me a couple time they realize some are good or better than others and next time I swing by they have signs grisgold,Wagner those made on 80s for $45 becouse it has its original lid(Made in Taiwan)or those with spikes(lodge)they says pre 1900s is funny,here only find lodge a lot,Wagner,and some griswold,I have 1 of each brand,Bsr a lot and lodge