First Cast Aluminum Cleaning - Waffle Iron

K_Leonard

I was asked by someone to clean and restore a Wagner Sidney -o- 828 waffle iron. I've cleaned cast iron plenty of times but haven't tackled a cast aluminum piece yet. I've read the site's directions on how best to handle cast aluminum and plan to follow it closely. Any other suggestions other than boil water method and oven cleaning cycle?

It appears somebody attempted to scrape off the residue (see pics) and may have scratched the aluminum. I'm hoping once I clean both pieces that I'll be able to polish the scratches out. I've viewed some pics of a few waffle irons that were restored and they look beautiful. Hoping this one turns out well!

Luckily the wooden handles unscrewed easily and I've got those put away while the restoration project is on-going. I'll handle those last. I assume that's brass at the end of the wooden handle and it too can be cleaned up.

Attachments

• IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3252.jpg
    IMG_3252.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 22
A few more pics...water is almost boiling so time to get to work.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpg
    IMG_3256.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3260.jpg
    IMG_3260.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 11
The bad part is that where the apparent scraping was done is not where the paddles would have been polished. Typically, just the outer rims, the handle attachments and the tops of the rings would be all that could practically be shined up to a mirror level luster, although it's not clear Wagner went that far. Do a search on Wagner aluminum waffle irons to see if any can be found in good enough shape to confirm. You may still be able to minimize the appearance of the scraping on those areas, though.

Thanks Doug. The paddles are cleaning up nicely and I used 0000 steel wool brushing in a circular motion to reduce the scratches. I've got the base in my electrolysis tank and will clean it up later today. About to clean the wooden handles and brass. I've searched the site for seasoning cast aluminum paddles but cannot find anything about it. Do we do nothing or maybe a light oil coat and low temperature?

I'd say, as with aluminum cookware, you just use them. Cooking spray or brushed with butter/oil. Letting a patina build up (or not) is up to individual choice.

Does anyone have an opinion on what's best for the wood handles? I've cleaned them up but am thinking of applying a light stain to really get them looking nice. Is that a bad idea? Do collectors frown upon that?

I usually just do tung oil on wooden handles... it looks nice on natural wood, it somewhat protects them, you can make it as glossy as you want by just adding more coats... and it was probably one of the methods used originally.

Thought I'd post some pics of the waffle iron after I cleaned it all up. Boy, what a nice piece this was. Restoring a quality piece sure feels good. And I'm thankful for this website and timely feedback we all receive when we ask questions.

Attachments

• refurbished paddles 1.jpg
    refurbished paddles 1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 23
  • refurbished base 4.jpg
    refurbished base 4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 21
  • refurbished base 3.jpg
    refurbished base 3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 18
A few more pics...

Attachments

• reburished paddles 2.jpg
    reburished paddles 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 21
  • refurbished waffle iron 1.jpg
    refurbished waffle iron 1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 20
  • refurbished waffle iron 2.jpg
    refurbished waffle iron 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 19
I should have! The guy picked it up yesterday and was very pleased. I was glad to hear he was actually going to use it to make some waffles. I asked that he send me some pics when he does.

Thats a great job!!! I would never be able to do a WI, I have low patient. This looks brand new. Should have a sticker saying 2.99 or whatever they costed back then. Great job!!!!

K_Leonard

Your efforts payed off, very nice work. Myself I stray away from aluminum, as SeanD stated low patient.

If you care to add a post with some photos to,

Restored Waffle Irons with Photos Show & Tell

Back