Griswold Slant 'Erie' Vs EPU

Greg Gardner

Are the early Griswold slant logo skillets that just have "Erie" in quotes under the logo, thinner castings than the slant logo with EPU? It seems like the castings got thicker at some point (certainly the large block EPU skillets are thicker walled and heavier than the early "Erie" versions).

Since we see slant EPU skillets with slant Erie ghosts, they should be the same, but perhaps not in all cases. Handle design variations among Griswold skillets tell us not all of a certain size were created from the same master pattern. I have a #8 smooth bottom LBL that sits on my stovetop that I would not characterize as either heavy nor thick-walled. It's noticeably lighter than the Wagner #8 I also keep handy, though.

Right - I have a slant "Erie" #8 that is thin and light in the manner of the "Erie" skillets, but the slant EPUs I have are much more like LBLs in thickness and weight. I wonder if the very early slant logos, that came immediately after the Griswold's Erie skillets, were still thin and then ones near the transition to slant EPU got thicker. Or to your point, perhaps it was pattern dependent and not year of production dependent. I've not had any other slant "Erie"s to compare.

Back