Southern Casting Corp

Photo viewable here. Raised marks such as those suggest application at time of mold creation. Hard to tell anything else as details such as handle not visible.

The image is on a facebook server, so it won't show unless you are logged into FB. Here it is:

10834648_10203496623400144_575721334_o.jpg

I realize this is an old post, however, I too have this skillet. At first, my research led me to believe that it was a recast of a Kentucky Prison skillet, that is until a fellow enthusiast on a FB CI site steered me in the right direction.

Here is some brief info from a newspaper article from The Tennessean (located in Nashville Tennessee), dated Thursday, September 29, 1949:

"The Southern Casting corp. plant, 1009 Forty-fourth ave. N.....was destroyed by fire yesterday afternoon."

"Owners of the plant, which manufactured a general line of iron castings, said the blaze caught in the building from sparks flying from molten iron as casting were poured."

"Owners of the manufacturing plant were listed as Bob Webb, John Frick, and Carl Greenwald."

"Destroyed in the fire, in addition to the stock metals and finished products were most of the corporation's records and a number of valuable patterns, according to Webb."

It stated that the owners intended to rebuild the manufacturing plant on the same site and that a temporary plant was to be used in the interim. I am not sure if this ever happened.

The website I was directed to is www.newspapers.com, which is subscription based, however, has a free 7 day trial.

I purchased mine back in October 2018 on Goodwill online auctions for a hefty price $$$$. I think it was worth it!!

Attachments

• southern casting corp.jpg
    southern casting corp.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 26
  • southern casting corp2.jpg
    southern casting corp2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Back