Are these genuine or reproductions

JMoss

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/118392149433464426705/albums/5996361158310522225

I found a Griswold PN 625 #282 is a shop today and cannot tell if it is genuine. The lettering is not as crisp as you would expect from a Griswold and it is tiny compared to the Wagner Tea Size Krispy Korn mold I had just bought. It is EPU and perhaps that explains the sloppy craftsmanship.

The same shop had a Waterman #4 bread mold and again, I cannot tell if it is genuine. There is no evidence of a bottom gate mark. I don't know enough about Waterman to say whether or not that is an indication of a reproduction.

I would appreciate any input as the authenticity of these two pieces and the value. The shop is moving to a new location and is willing to negotiate prices.

Thanks for your help.

Jack

I think I just answered my own question. Page 316 of the BB shown PN 625 associated with #262 and PN 630 being associated with #282. Seems like that makes it a reproduction or the foundryman had a very rough Monday morning.

Doug, Steve, anybody??

Last edited:
The tea size cornstick pan p/n is 262, so that's the first tip that it's a fake. The real ones always look like this one, never worse casting-wise, except in the case of the ones made by Wagner and marked as 1891 Original toy set pieces. (The Griswold-marked ones Wagner made without the Erie, PA USA are still very nice quality.)
Image Image

The Waterman pan is real. I have one just like it. Gatemarks on these are more likely indicators of copies. The gates on the originals appear to be at the outer edges of the handles, which are often rough, indicating the excess was snapped off. $55 is still little high on it.

Thank you Doug. You are a huge help in my learning curve.

Do you think $35 is a fair price for the Waterman? He said he wanted to be a seller not a collector.

Jack

Back