Lodge #10

Lori P

Doug, I am a new member. I have an opportunity to purchase, I believe it is an unmarked, Lodge #10 on top and a raised E, on the bottom around 6:00.
I don't know much about cast iron skillets but I am beginning to learn from what I am reading. I have not found anything like what I am describing until I saw your picture on another post recently... and I wrote to you and Michael asking for any information you could share about this piece. I am not sure if it's as good a quality as a Griswald, and If I'm going to purchase something, I really want to know I'm getting the best quality. I appreciate any feedback you could send my way. I must want to make the right decision. This #10 is smooth and seasoned well... in great shape. but I keep reading that Griswalds are better. Is it because the iron is better quality? Do you know when this # 10, heat ring - 3 sections with a raised Letter E was made approximately? I was told it is an old one. Thank you for ANY information you could send my way!

First of all, welcome.

It's best when you have a question to create a new thread with it in a single sub-forum. Posting the same thing in multiple places can actually hinder your getting a coherent answer and may lead to confusion. I have created this new thread for you and removed the duplicate postings.

Now, to the question at hand. The characteristics of your piece (like the one I saw and mentioned elsewhere) do sound like a ca. 1940s Lodge. Hopefully, the one you are looking at has the finer casting details including the relatively large pour spouts in keeping with an older hand cast version of the pan.

Griswold made some very fine pans during their hey day, as did other makers, Lodge included. During the time that Griswold produced pans in Erie, PA, they probably did not produce a piece that collectors consider less than collectible or less than well-made. But you will also find pieces of comparable quality from many of the name brand makers of the late 19th and early to mid-20th centuries.

The notion of "good iron" is more applicable as a description of the older, finer, lighter castings with polished cooking surfaces. Some use the term to imply that at some point domestic cast iron was begun to be made using substandard or inferior metal, and that's not really the case.

As a user piece, if your Lodge is not warped, cracked or pitted, and has a polished cooking surface, I would say it's worth having. But not worth paying too much for.

Thank you so much Doug. Asking price is around $30.00
Here's a few photos. Please let me know if you don't receive them.
I can get a Griswold # 8 for about the same amount of money.
If you don't mind me asking you... what would you do if this was you?
I'm looking at what's best for the same amount of money?

file:///Users/loripilato/Desktop/get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
file:///Users/loripilato/Desktop/get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg
file:///Users/loripilato/Desktop/get-attachment-2.aspx.jpeg

Thank you for your time and consideration!

The photo files from your computer are not viewable.

If the pan was of the earlier, hand cast version I described, was in excellent condition, and already cleaned and seasoned as well as if I had done it myself, $30 would be about the top I would consider paying; the absolute top if the later, heavier casting. If the Griswold #8 was in excellent condition and had the large logo, I might try to get it instead for ~ $25, and wait to find a Lodge #10, perhaps in lesser condition but one that I knew for certain I could restore, at a cheaper price to have for a user somewhere down the road.

Look at this page for help spotting damage and defects to avoid, and which lower value:

http://www.castironcollector.com/damage.php

Doug,
I'm sorry you weren't able to access the pictures on the previous post.
This is new to me, and I just figured out how to send the attachments!
I hope this helps!
I read your info. I believe it is in very good condition, and is not warped.
I am not sure if the spouts are the wider setting, or the narrower width since I don't have anything to compare it to.
Again, I would appreciate your opinion!
Thank you again..
I appreciate you taking all this time to help someone new to this.

get-attachment-2.aspx.jpg

get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg

get-attachment.aspx.jpg

Those are the larger pour spouts consistent with a hand cast piece. From the pictures it appears to be in good condition.

Older pans had larger pour spouts which were wider and protruded further out. To prevent damage from the rough handling of automated molding lines, designs were changed to heavier castings, with thicker walls and small pour spouts. Yours appears to be toward the older style, but not entirely. $20 would be a bargain if there is no damage or defect. Most antique stores and flea markets will give at least 10% off just for asking for their "best price".

Thank you Doug and Ty for knowlege and information. Given the pictures and your knowlege, would you rather have this Lodge 10 or a Griswold 8? If both were the same amount in price? I am curious. Thanks!

I think it depends on what your reason for buying is in the first place.

As a collectible, the Griswold is a better investment. The three notch Lodge pans are probably the most common vintage pans I come across, and people will let rusty and gunked ones go for cheap. Usually when I find a Griswold, it's been cleaned and seasoned already and the asking price is ridiculous.

If you are looking to cook in them, they will likely perform just the same. I find that a #8 is big enough to cook a meal for one or two people in most cases, but if I need to cook for my whole family it's not big enough. For example, if I need to brown ground beef, the amount of meat required to feed everyone gets too crowded in the pan and the meat ends up stewing instead of browning. So if you intend to use it, and feed a bunch of people, I think you'll do better with the larger pan.

Back