Griswold No.9 Oval Roaster 18"

Cathy K

I'm not sure where to go to get more information on a GRISWOLD Cast Iron No 9 Dutch Oven Large Oval Roaster 18" that I acquired from my mother-in-law. Any information you have on this piece would be appreciated. My husband and I are new to collecting Cast Iron and would love to know what we have as far as value also.

First, those are really nice big pieces of Griswold.
Second, how is the lid marked?
They were made with either a plain lid, a lid that just says 'oval roaster' in raised letters or the 'fully marked' 'Griswold No 9 Dutch Oven Oval Roaster'... the fully marked are the most desirable to collectors and therefore the most valuable.

There appear to be two different versions of the oval roaster as well. one with pattern numbers: base - 649 and cover - 650 (1934 - 1940's)... and another one: base - 2675 and cover 2676 (1923 - 1930)

The prices in the blue book are several years old but it lists the first one (649 and 650) as 300-400. and the second one 450-600.

I don't believe the lid has the word Griswold on it. It does have numbers, the picture I took doesn't show it clearly, I'm anxious to get home and check it out. The roaster also has a trivet for the inside, is that common?

I don't believe the lid has the word Griswold on it. It does have numbers, the picture I took doesn't show it clearly, I'm anxious to get home and check it out. The roaster also has a trivet for the inside, is that common?

They were sold originally with the trivet... but finding one now with the trivet is not common... in fact, if you do some searching on ebay you'll find that the trivet alone is worth quite a bit I see an iron trivet for the #3 oval roaster sold for several hundred dollars... having the base, marked lid and trivet is a great set.

here's a recent ebay sale of a #9 with trivet ($806).

Our lid has the Griswold Oval Roaster #9 and 650 Erie PA USA on the INSIDE of the lid. The outside top says Oval Roaster. Is that where the markings are usually?

yes. so you have the middle of the three options I listed earlier... it has the raised letters 'oval roaster' on the top of the lid... and all of the other identifiers on the inside... there are some that say 'griswold #9 dutch oven oval roaster' all in raised letters on the top... that's what they refer to as 'fully marked'.

So to summarize, yours says 'oval roaster' in raised letters on top.
then the usual griswold logo and erie, pa. usa and number on the inside of the lid... then the bottom of the roaster pan itself should have a big block griswold logo, the number and more writing.

so that puts yours as being made between 1934-1940's.
the blue book lists the price range as 300-400 for the roaster and 125 for the trivet... but keep in mind the prices in the blue book are 6-7 years old... I'd say you're still in the 500-800 range for the full set given the current prices.

post pics when you get a chance, I'm sure there are a lot of people on here who would love to see it.

Back