New to Forum and Collecting

Fred Bradbury

I am new to the community and collecting.

After visiting a flea market (one dealer had several pieces $30-$60 ea), 4-5 Goodwill/Salvation Army stores (no CI pieces whatsoever) and 4 Antique Malls (two of the malls had CI pieces), this is what I came up with.

Please provide feedback on the prices ($18.88 for the bigger pans, and $15 for the smaller pan), as well as Identification.

#9 No idea. No marking on bottom, but this pan does have an odd design where the bottom of the handle meets the pan.

#8 I think this may be a BSR pan? The underside of the handle has an angled ridge on it.

#5. I think this may be a BSR pan? It's labeled "50" on the bottom, but the underside of the handle has an angled ridge on it.

Here is a link:
https://imgur.com/a/RCAFf

Please advise.

Fred

The 8 is probably an import copy of a BSR, as BSRs don't have size numbers on the tops of handles. The 5 is, though; that's a letter O pattern identifier. I'm not seeing any marks on the 9 to know it's a 9. Could be Vollrath, but would expect a number on the bottom, sideways at 3 o'clock.

Edit: I see the 9 now. Not Vollrath.

FYI - I added a picture of the back of the handle on the #9 pan

Edit #2 - I also added a picture of the top of the handle on the #9 showing the "9"

The distinct (as opposed to blended) handle and lip reinforcement are typical of late 19th and early 20th century skillets. This may be a copy, by a competent foundry, using another maker's pan as a pattern.

I didn't notice when I purchased it, but the #8 appears to have a 2" crack on one of the sides.

Bottom line - I didn't do too well today :(

But the #5 BSR for $15 is probably good.

Not terrible. The 5 is a post-automation piece. BSRs can often be had cheaply since they're unmarked and sellers don't know what they are. Actually, the 9 may have been the best value, as a user, for what you paid.

What do you mean when you say the #5 is a post automation piece, and how/why do you say that?

Heading up to Frankenmuth MI tomorrow to try to do better :p

The small pour spouts and the markings not looking hand-scrawled indicate the 5 was the product of BSR's early automated mold-making process.

Here are today's purchases. Went up to Frankenmuth MI.
Anyone care to confirm / provide feedback on identities?

Pan 1 Corn Bread marked VSA trapezoid holes.
Pan 2 Corn Bread marked USA round holes
Pan 3 Possible BSR #5? Why does this pan have periods in between the 5 and X?
Pan 4 No Idea. Marked #5 on both handle and near center of bottom.
Pan 5 Oval Wagner Ware A-98 - Why is this Wagner Ware symbol different?
Pan 6 Wagner Ware #6
Pan 7 Wagner Ware #8 Chicken Fryer?
Pan 8 Griswold #8?

https://imgur.com/a/QjatW

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

That should have said 7SA

Pan 8 is an Iron Mountain made by Griswold in the 1940's.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Pan 2 Corn Bread marked USA round holes
Pan 3 Possible BSR #5? Why does this pan have periods in between the 5 and X?
Pan 4 No Idea. Marked #5 on both handle and near center of bottom.
Pan 5 Oval Wagner Ware A-98 - Why is this Wagner Ware symbol different?
Pan 6 Wagner Ware #6
Pan 7 Wagner Ware #8 Chicken Fryer?
Pan 8 Griswold #8?

https://imgur.com/a/QjatW

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

That should have said 7SA

Pan 1 corn stick pan made by BS&R

Pan 2 unknown to me. I will check.

Pan 3 BS&R

Pan 4 makes me think Vollrath due to the number at the 3 o'clock position, but I don't remember numbers on the handle. I'll have to check my number 12 later. If Vollrath, they were made in the 1920's-1940's.

Pan 5 Wagner made in the1990's or an imitation.

Pan 6 is correct

Pan 7 is a chicken fryer

Pan 8 is an Iron Mountain made by Griswold as I stated in an earlier post. You can always tell them apart from the rest because of its unique handle.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

I'm not seeing any marks on the 9 to know it's a 9. Could be Vollrath, but would expect a number on the bottom, sideways at 3 o'clock.

Edit: I see the 9 now. Not Vollrath.

I see the 9 on the handle. Where is it on the bottom of the pan?

Back