Wagner Sidney O arc/arc

RichS

I'm brand new to the forum. Actually I've been lurking on here for some time but just decided to finely join. I have a question. The first pan that I ever bought was a Wagner Sidney O arc/arc. I don't have a picture but if you look on this site there is a perfect example of it in the "trademark & logo" section. In fact it looks like the exact same pan - size, condition etc. Does anyone know approximately how much this pan is worth? I can't find any info anywhere. And I think I'm hooked on cast iron.:shock: Is there a cure?

Thanks,

Rich

p.s. My timer just went off I have to put a couple of pans in the oven for seasoning. (not kidding)

Take yourself on over to Ebay and search sold auctions, that is as good as you are going to get. Just remember it is like the weather, always changing.

As for the CURE, when your funds run out.:eek:

Thanks Jeffrey for the quick response. I can see my funds running out pretty quick. I've been looking on E-bay for a while now. In the last six months or so I've only seen two of these for sale. One of them I bought (did I mention I own two of these now?:chuckle:). The other was listed with a "buy it now" and was snatched up right away (before I could get it).

Here's my thinking. I've only seen two for sale in six months. Are people holding on to them? Are they that rare? The production was from 1895 to 1915. It doesn't seem like it would be rare. Now I've seen other pans like the "Erie spider" for sale. There's three auctions for those pans going on right now. One just ended for $1800.00 or so, there's one going for about $800.00 and another for about $150.00 (and it's cracked!).

So I can't really seem to find any info on my pans looking at E-bay or at least I haven't so far. If anyone knows anything about these pans I'd appreciate a heads-up. Otherwise I'm just going to keep looking and buying until my funds run out.:chuckle:

First the Erie spider skillets are not the norm, we are not talking apples to apples here. Remember condition is everything.

Are people holding on to them? Yes, to your ?. I like that it drives the price up, ( good if you are selling)

Remember americans fell out of love with cast iron for some not so healthy non stick pans. One just needs to wonder just how many went to the junk man, left outside and are in RickC's collection :bow:, were used to hit the husband upside the head and broke, lost at camp, because they were used as an anchor for the canoe, The X took and broke them, and now we have to worry about the mail man breaking them, they just are not making them anymore. Might have to check if any are coming over in the next container ship from, where everything else comes from. :icon_rofl:

Early bird gets the worm, right you know that. The reason I said that is that some sellers do not know what they are selling ( this applies to some antique dealers)
And if you see it first you need to step up and spend till your funds run out.

Do you check estate sales and auctions? You are not looking for a needle in the haystack, but it is a rare skillet.

If I remember I have sold one years ago, thinking #8 or 9

RickC does have a nice collection, when I grow up I want one like his.:icon_thumbsup:

First off, RichS, I would say that if you want to start collecting. Which is what I gather, being as you're perusing the high end iron on ebay. Pick up a lot of random brands. Feel them out, look into the companies history, etc etc.

You'll eventually settle on a brand that you really like, one that you love their handle shapes, they had their foundry in your Uncles home town, or whatever. Use your funds to try and build up a complete set of one of their lines. Whether it's one of their older lines of iron, or something newer, doesn't matter. Try and focus your efforts on something.

You'll end up spending good money on pieces to complete the set, and other pieces only pick up if they're cheap enough, or you don't already own any pieces from that brand/era.

The ERIE spider logo skillets... They say they're more rare than autographed Babe Ruth baseball cards, but they come up for auction often, and I've seen people find them in the wild. If you want to step into the higher end waters, look for Wapak indian head logo pieces. They're still relatively cheap, and are pretty cool. Like Jeffrey said above, condition is everything. Crisp logo, no cracks, not warped/bowed, etc etc.

He also alluded to my collection. I'm a little outside the norm when it comes to desirable pieces. If cheap enough, I will purchase known re-casts', repaired pieces, ghost logos, and what I would generally consider oddities in the CI community. (A couple examples below)

Blacksmith repaired skillet & Eagle Stove Works Griswold copy.
Franken-top,medium.1415088348.JPG
IMG-3273,medium.1404973291.JPG

Heavily pitted Griswold skillet & School project aluminum re-cast Wagner 1053 skillet.
Griswold-704-No-8-top,medium.1406179673.JPG
Wagner-1053-fake-bottom,medium.1421223377.jpg

These are pieces that other collectors would shy away from, but I think they're great. Collect what you like, not what's selling at the highest dollar amount on ebay. Have Fun!!!

Back