Chain mail scrubber

Interesting. I may give it a run. it would be awesome to find a glove :razz:
I'm thinking that I might have to, as well, although I rarely really need something like that. I like that it won't collect nasty gunk itself though, like a scrubby or sponge will.

A Tuffy or a spatula. A la Alton Brown, don't really see the need for something that really doesn't do anything else.

I have a little plastic scraper that came with some pampered chef thing. Im just not getting into CI that I care about so ive been using a scotch brite pad but I was looking for something a bit easier

I order one of the chainmail scrubbers last week and the USPS tracking says out for delivery, so, a report is forthcoming.

Well, the chaimail arrived about ten minutes ago in an 8 1/2" X 11" manilla envelope. Inside was a 1 1/2" X 3" zip lock plastic bag marked APOLLO BREW SUPPLY. It pretty much looks like the photos on eBAY, Amazon, et. al. The many wire rings that are looped into each other are split and not soldered or welded together on the ends. As a result, I can see where some people will find this a problem in that scratched skin or perhaps bleeding cuts may be possible. Or, worse yet scratched through seasoning. Personally, I am not going to worry about either one.

I guess now I have to go burn something to the bottom of some iron and give this a bit of a reality check for functionality. I will report later this week.

Here is the follow-up report I promised on the chainmail scrubber.

Started out with a Lodge 8 inch skillet and pre-heated it and added some butter, then cracked an egg on the edge and let some white run down the inside edge of the iron and then continued to break open the egg in the bottom, then covered the skillet. After letting it cook to a hard yolk I pulled out my polymer spatula and remove most of the egg. Roughly 10 percent of it burned onto the bottom and side of the skillet. I let the iron cool down and then ran some hot water and started using the chainmail scrubber.

It removed the larger and thinker areas with ease, however, the thinner the egg residue the more difficult it's removal. After several minutes of scrubbing I went to my stiff fiber brush and got the rest.

Opinion: I have mixed feeling about this scrubber. The thicker the residue the better it worked. It still needed a good brushing, which I kind of expected. As you know the Lodge skillets are not machined and smooth before the seasoning from the factory and I expected this rough surface to need the brush work. On the finer old stuff you all have in your collections I would think this is the cat's meow.

I then went to the basement and looked at the surface with a lit magnifier and my old eyes did not detect any scrapping off of the seasoning or any sort of damage to it for that matter.

If you purchase this from an on-line vendor the price to your door may be as much as $22.00 or so. An old split cedar shingle may do as well for less money. Am I keeping it ... Yes. Am I somewhat disappointed ... Yes. Is it a useful accessory to your cast iron kitchen ... Yes. Would I buy another one ... At this time I don't know. I think I will need more experience with it before I decide that.

Thanks much for the helpful review, William! Considering that I have Griswold skillets that I've paid less for, I think I'll hold off.

Thanks for the update. I use the business end of my steel spatula to get the crusties out as I've done for many years. I can't see where the chain mail would offer anything better ATM so I'll stick to my method until proven different.

A Dexter-Russell spatula with the straight leading edge and non-sharp corners is perfect for this,
and with the added benefit that it doubles as... a spatula!

Amazon sells them also.

Back