Polishing pans

I see an occasional mention of polishing the pans before seasoning. What is used for that? Something like a buffer wheel? Any polishing compound?

Short answer: NO.

Slightly longer answer: If the piece isn't collectible or you only want to make it more "usable", hit it with whatever you want. Just know altering the original finish pretty much destroys its value in the collectors market.

Final point: scrubbing with a very fine abrasive such as fine steel wool is generally considered acceptable to remove stubborn carbon, but anything that visibly removes iron should be avoided!

I had a two year old Lodge Handled Griddle that I used a sander, and then a honing stone on to polish it up. Now seasoned up, it cooks as good as my ERIE Handled Griddle.

I would never do that on any collectible cast iron.

I had a two year old Lodge Handled Griddle that I used a sander, and then a honing stone on to polish it up. Now seasoned up, it cooks as good as my ERIE Handled Griddle.

I would never do that on any collectible cast iron.
If you figure in your labor, what do you suppose that Lodge cost you? I can see doing it as an experiment, but when you can get a Wagner or early Lodge for $20, why bother?

I go camping quite a bit, and did not want to take any of my collectible cast iron, so I bought a new Lodge #5 skillet. Took the grinder to it, as well as progressively finer sandpaper. Now the bottom is as smooth as the best vintage cast iron. The pan works great, and I don't worry about it being thrown around when I am camping. I agree though, I would never do that to a collectible piece.

Bruce

I go camping quite a bit, and did not want to take any of my collectible cast iron, so I bought a new Lodge #5 skillet. Took the grinder to it, as well as progressively finer sandpaper. Now the bottom is as smooth as the best vintage cast iron. The pan works great, and I don't worry about it being thrown around when I am camping. I agree though, I would never do that to a collectible piece.

Bruce

It seems to me that Lodge could quite easily and inexpensively add a machining and polishing step to their pans and create a more exclusive line. Given what people are willing to pay for Griswolds, I would think the market could bear a few dollars more for a premium line. They claim on their website that the rough finish is to help their pre-seasoning stick... but we all know what that bit of marketing is worth.

I too have 'machined' the cooking surface of Lodge skillets with grinding and sandpaper to a smooth surface. When finished there were always pits that would not be acceptable for retail sales. They fill in with seasoning, but .....

I believe this is due to the cast iron quality of Lodge. Not saying it is bad. It just does not lend itself well to machining. They would have to change their cast iron formula to a lower carbon content to increase the density to successfully create a material more friendly to machining. Yes they could put out a product more like steel, more like Griswold but their success is from the cast iron they produce.

Hilditch

I too have 'machined' the cooking surface of Lodge skillets with grinding and sandpaper to a smooth surface. When finished there were always pits that would not be acceptable for retail sales. They fill in with seasoning, but .....

I believe this is due to the cast iron quality of Lodge. Not saying it is bad. It just does not lend itself well to machining. They would have to change their cast iron formula to a lower carbon content to increase the density to successfully create a material more friendly to machining. Yes they could put out a product more like steel, more like Griswold but their success is from the cast iron they produce.

Hilditch

This is why I like the EARLY cast iron.

The reason Lodge don't machine their cooking surfaces is due to the fact that now they pre-season their pans and they needed a rough surface for the oil to adhere to.

The reason Lodge don't machine their cooking surfaces is due to the fact that now they pre-season their pans and they needed a rough surface for the oil to adhere to.
I know that is what they say. Do YOU need a rough surface for your seasoning to stick to? I sure don't.

Dan, I agree with you. If you have a few, Lodge put up a youtube video on their manufacturing process for their cookware. If I remember correctly, they explain their surface and seasoning process. The pans hang and are sprayed with oil then moved through an oven.

My first CI pans were modern Lodges. Still use them up at the cabin. My eyes were not opened to the vintage stuff until my friend gave me his father's Griswold #7 with lid. His wife didn't want it because it was dirty and was going to throw it out. Now my wife feels I have an obsession that I should seek help for.

Dan, I agree with you. If you have a few, Lodge put up a youtube video on their manufacturing process for their cookware. If I remember correctly, they explain their surface and seasoning process. The pans hang and are sprayed with oil then moved through an oven.

My first CI pans were modern Lodges. Still use them up at the cabin. My eyes were not opened to the vintage stuff until my friend gave me his father's Griswold #7 with lid. His wife didn't want it because it was dirty and was going to throw it out. Now my wife feels I have an obsession that I should seek help for.
Your wife is probably right (aren't they always?)

I know that is what they say. Do YOU need a rough surface for your seasoning to stick to? I sure don't.

Oh I agree with you. One less step in manufacturing saving the company hundreds of thousands. Stage a PR video on why they don't smooth out the cooking surface and the stockholders are having a party. :icon_thumbsup:

Oh I agree with you. One less step in manufacturing saving the company hundreds of thousands. Stage a PR video on why they don't smooth out the cooking surface and the stockholders are having a party. :icon_thumbsup:
I'm not saying they should polish their current line. I'm saying that they should maybe look at the Griswold trend and begin making a premium line as well. I'm sure they have discussed it though.

I'm not saying they should polish their current line. I'm saying that they should maybe look at the Griswold trend and begin making a premium line as well. I'm sure they have discussed it though.

They're probably worried it would cut too deeply into sales of their carbon steel line. What surprises me more is the lack of American competition. Vollrath still makes carbon steel, aluminum, and stainless steel pans in the US. One would think they're watching how successful Lodge has been the last 10 years or so. So Vollrath, where's the CI? Where?

They're probably worried it would cut too deeply into sales of their carbon steel line. What surprises me more is the lack of American competition. Vollrath still makes carbon steel, aluminum, and stainless steel pans in the US. One would think they're watching how successful Lodge has been the last 10 years or so. So Vollrath, where's the CI? Where?
I'd still think that would all be a matter of finding the right price point. There are people that are still going to buy the low end, and others that will be willing to spring for the good stuff. Walmart and Macy's.

Anyway... I had lunch at a Cracker Barrel today and had my first look at the CB Lodge. I wonder if a pancake cooked in one of those will come out with an impression of the Cracker Barrel logo, due to uneven heating. Doubt it, but an interesting thought. If it does, I'm marketing a pan with an impression of Elvis on the bottom!

If you figure in your labor, what do you suppose that Lodge cost you? I can see doing it as an experiment, but when you can get a Wagner or early Lodge for $20, why bother?

Electric sander took about 10 minutes.

Honing stone on the griddle was very therapeutic. Sat watching the tube with a thick old towel in my lap and moved the stone around and around for a couple hours. Do the same thing when I sharpen my knives. Very Zen.

Electric sander took about 10 minutes.

Honing stone on the griddle was very therapeutic. Sat watching the tube with a thick old towel in my lap and moved the stone around and around for a couple hours. Do the same thing when I sharpen my knives. Very Zen.
I could maybe see it with a griddle. Much more difficult with a pan, I'd think. And a large vintage good quality griddle isn't going to be so cheap.

I've been shopping around for a 2-burner griddle to cook on but even the unmarked ones I've seen at area flea markets had crazy price tags. If I don't find one soon I'm buying a new Lodge and taking an orbital sander to it.

Back