Steaks in CI - first timer seeking suggestions

JenniferM

I have three medium-thickness NY strips I wanted to try in CI for the first time tonight for my family. I have no idea what I should do (sear on stove first, then oven; oven first then pan sear, stove only or oven only; oil/no oil, etc.)

About all I know I do want is only salt & pepper on the meat for seasonings (e.g., no Montreal seasoning, a1, etc).

Anyone have tried & true tips or suggestions for a first timer?

Thanks much, in advance, for any help! :p

I usually...

1. Preheat the oven and stick the skillet in to preheat as well
  2. Salt and lightly oil the steak. I don't really like pepper since it tends to burn and get bitter, but up to you.
  3. Remove skillet from oven, place over med to med-high burner, sear steaks for a minute or two per side
  4. Return skillet and steaks to oven to finish to desired doneness
  5. Ingest and smile
  6. Nap

For steak, I use my (heavy) #10 Lodge. Either a drizzle of peanut (or other high smoke point) oil in the pan or a light coating on the meat. Preheat skillet in 425°F oven. Once preheated, remove to med-high burner. Sear steaks 2-3 minutes each side, and return to oven to finish for 10-12 minutes. Remove to platter and let rest tented under foil 3-5 minutes. The timings depend on the thickness of the steaks and your doneness preference. Some thin ones don't even need to go back to the oven. I have an ultra-fast Thermapen that lets me check and pull the meat off about 5-10° under desired final temp. Also get in the habit of sitting steaks out off refrigeration for 20-30 minutes before cooking. I use an old aluminum long griddle as a heat sink, like those Seen on TV magic defroster plates, to speed that up.

Fantastic! Thank you both so very much. :icon_thumbsup:

I will happily share the results & pictures after dinner tonight ... unless I manage to screw it up. :covri:

+1 on the Thermapen, although a bit expensive (relative to other, lesser thermometers) it is totally worth every penny.

Good Luck. Let see some photos. You only learn from doing. :covri:
Sorry can not help here, as I am the grill master here

Well, I will claim success, but not perfection. Success in that my pan proved to be effectively seasoned, no sticking, and I was patient and didn't move the steaks around while they seared. And they were more tender than I expected for this method of cooking them. The family enjoyed them, and the pan cleaned up easily!

I won't claim perfection because they were a smidge overdone for our liking. We like our steaks medium well, and these were a smidge more done than preferred, but still surprisingly tender for being well done. I think - next time - I should sear for another min on each side (3.5 mins vs 2.5), then cut down the oven time, which I timed at 11 mins. Maybe 8-9 mins max since they keep cooking after taking them out. I did let them rest a couple mins, tented under foil, as suggested. Also, I could not find my meat thermometer last night, so I had to kind of wing it. Adding one to my store list for the next run.

But again, no complaints ... I used the little bit of left over steak to cook up with eggs on my griddle this morning. That double burner griddle is my fave & most versatile piece so far.

Here is a pic of them searing in my Lodge 14SK. I need one just a smidge smaller than this pan. It's so big I have a hard time handling it.

Thanks again so much for the suggestions!

Job well done. One more tool for your kitchen, thermometer.

I agree with Doug & John E, Thermapen is a nice tool for the kitchen. I have the Big Green Egg Remote smoker thermometer. I will not stand outside cooking when it is 10 deg

Thx Jeff; it was kinda fun, and while it 'reads' like a lot of work, really it wasn't. And it sure beat running in and out to the grill in freezing cold temps and sleet.

Next time I'm in the big town where there is a kitchen store, I'll be sure to pick up a new thermometer. Selection where I live is very limited.

In the mean time, I'm thinking I want to make pork chops for dinner tonight, but skip the oven and just keep them in the skillet on the stove. It doesn't seem like rocket science for this ... just do the same thing I did for the steaks for the most part, minus the oven. Bet they turn out yummy! I've done them on the stove before, but in a non-stick grill pan. These - I'm sure - will be drastically tastier. :D

Thx Jeff; it was kinda fun, and while it 'reads' like a lot of work, really it wasn't. And it sure beat running in and out to the grill in freezing cold temps and sleet.

Next time I'm in the big town where there is a kitchen store, I'll be sure to pick up a new thermometer. Selection where I live is very limited.

In the mean time, I'm thinking I want to make pork chops for dinner tonight, but skip the oven and just keep them in the skillet on the stove. It doesn't seem like rocket science for this ... just do the same thing I did for the steaks for the most part, minus the oven. Bet they turn out yummy! I've done them on the stove before, but in a non-stick grill pan. These - I'm sure - will be drastically tastier. :D

It is fun cooking with cast iron, learn something new all the time. With my dutch ovens, I went from stews, soups, roasts, and baked beans to No-Knead Bread and sourdough bread.

If I am not cooking on the grill, then it will be the smoker, gives the wife a little break. Just not big fan of fried food in our home, bit of a health nut. Trying to live long. Grilling and smoking my meats, the fat drips away.

Heck, I never said that I did not like the cold and snow, after all this is the snowmobile capital of the Northeast, bring it on.

The photo of your steak looks ready to eat to me. Break off the horns flip twice, done. No salt, seasonings, Montreal seasoning, a1, etc. If the meat does not taste good by itself, something is wrong. Try some farm raised grass fed beef, then some store purchased. case closed

Big town, what is that. Where we live there are more cows that people. You can save some miles and order a new thermometer on line, selection will be better. I am on a first name basic with my UPS driver, and post master.

"I want to make pork chops for dinner tonight"
Just add some spuds and onions.

The best steak I've personally ever cooked was using the reverse sear method. Here's one link describing the process, but you can look for others and come up with a method that works for you.

http://www.meatchurch.com/blogs/recipes/14684969-reverse-seared-steak

The basic idea is that you start your steak in a very low oven and slowly bring it up to temp. Then you sear it hard and fast in a smoking hot cast iron skillet...all while basting it. It's only in the skillet for a minute or so per side. It ends up with a medium rare throughout, and has a great sear on the outside. But you don't overcook any of the meat trying to get the center of the steak warmed up.

A bit high maintenance, but it's really worth it if you have the time.

Pork chops = SUCCESS! :icon_thumbsup: :icon_thumbsup:

I never heard of "pork ribeyes" before unless they are just called something else usually, but they were the right thickness I wanted: not too thick, not too thin, and no bones. So I gave them a whirl, and they were fantastic! Super tender, tasty, and all cooked in the skillet (no oven). I also refriend up some Lima beans left over from last night, and the fam was angry ... that there weren't more for seconds. :chuckle:

Back