CI vs Stainless... What does CI Do Better?

TedW

Every product has it's niche. Looking at Skillets, when would you reach for Cast Iron vs Stainless?

Some examples:

Like browning meat... the mass of the CI is a big helper.

Chefs pan when I'm browning and tossing (whether acidic or not) I'm reaching for my Stainless Chef Pan, not CI

So I'm curious what people feel is a job best left to Cast Iron?

It helps to view cookware as tools. If you need a hammer, you don't reach for a screwdriver. If you need to saute, you don't reach for a #12 CI skillet. If you need a pan to react quickly to changes in heat source temperature, you reach for a pan that can do that. CI excels at heat energy storage and maintaining an even temp, so roasting, braising, searing, grilling, and baking are its fortes.

It helps to view cookware as tools. If you need a hammer, you don't reach for a screwdriver. If you need to saute, you don't reach for a #12 CI skillet. If you need a pan to react quickly to changes in heat source temperature, you reach for a pan that can do that. CI excels at heat energy storage and maintaining an even temp, so roasting, braising, searing, grilling, and baking are its fortes.

Wait, I thought that if something goes not work, just get a hammer presto fixed. Chisels are screwdriver. You touch mine, I break you fingers.

Baking bread in my dutch ovens, now you are talking. :icon_thumbsup:

Back