Also New

Michael Maas

Greetings!

My name is Mike. I'm from Troy, Missouri and also a newbie to cast iron collecting. I think like a lot of people, I like cast iron not only because of it's beauty and durability, but also because of its usability. I've learned a lot in the last few months, and still have a lot more to learn. For instance, the toxic nonstick I've been cooking on and thought was so great just wore out...again. That's two pans in ten years. So I like the idea of having pans that will last my lifetime, pans which I can pass down to my daughters.

My mother, unfortunately, never liked cast iron. She was under the impression that it's incredibly heavy and difficult to cook with (and the modern stuff is). I recently gave her one of my pans, and she's now rediscovering that she was wrong on the first two counts, and in July she'll be 70! Even for someone her age, she's rediscovering that her mother (my great grandmother) was right!

But another newbie nailed it--for me it's a treasure hunt. I've crisscrossed Missouri, searched e-bay, and am cobbling together a collection.

So far I've done well with the Wagners (a little alliteration for you) and have found a #8, #6, unmarked #6, #5, and #3 all at decent prices. I also have a #7 Griswold and hope to acquire more, plus a few others that are not collectible or not too interesting. But the hunt has just begun.

In fact, I have a #10 Wagner cooking in an electrolysis bath right now! Looks to be good when it's done.

Happy hunting.

Mike M.

Back