1st Find!

RDixon

I think these are both BSR. I am pretty sure the 5 is an early Red Mountain Series. The 8 I am not sure if it is Later Red Mountain or early Century.

Please advise:

https://imgur.com/gallery/OIrFS

In the pics I have already started the restoration. Both had many layers of gunk. I didn't realize that the 5 had the few pits. I am assuming the 5 has the larger pour spouts vs the 8 having the smaller.

I can't wait to finish restoration and start using them!

You have yourself a couple of really good users! I have a #5 that's my favorite for making an open face omelette. I start it out on the stove and finish it in my preheated toaster oven set on broil. And that #8 will work great for searing steaks and chops or doing the blackened fish! It will take a while for the seasoning to become established, be patient and resist the urge to strip and start over. If it gets a spot or two where the seasoning looks blotchy just keep cooking, it will blend back in in no time. Enjoy

I wouldn't call the #5 early RM. While the spouts are larger than those of the #8, they don't appear to be the classic large radius spouts. I'd place both it and the #8 as early automation, which could have been labeled either RM or Century.

I wouldn't call the #5 early RM. While the spouts are larger than those of the #8, they don't appear to be the classic large radius spouts. I'd place both it and the #8 as early automation, which could have been labeled either RM or Century.

I thought that the hand scribed BSR were early in series?

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Picked up two more today!

Where would these fall in the BSR Red Mountian/ Century Series?

https://imgur.com/gallery/8FbYJ

With most makers, changes in markings often don't have cut and dried differences. Assessments have to be made looking at the piece in its entirety, not honing in on one characteristic while disregarding the rest. I would place your newer finds in about the same time frame as the others, early 1950s, either/or RM/Century.

Back