Help Identify Cast Iron

KevinM

I have this odd cast iron. It's not deep enough to fry anything in. And it's got 4 tiny little legs on on the bottom. The only mark on it is an 8 on the bottom directly in middle. The walls are an inch high. Any idea who made it or when it's from? What should I use it for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 82
Kevin, that looks like a Lodge "Long Pan". At least it looks like the one in their 1930's catalog. Might not be a Lodge, but it's definitely a Long Pan.

I read somewhere, it was also called a "dry fry griddle".

As for what you could use it for, I would assume you could use it the same way you would use a long griddle. Looks like it would work great on top of a Sportsman's Grill!

Thanks for the info. I inherited so much cast iron from my dad I'm just trying to figure out what I want to keep and what I should sell. I have about 50 pieces so I'll probably post on here again.

Ugh. I've tried to reply to this twice already and erased my lengthy response. Maybe the Forum gods are trying to tell me something? Haha!

Kevin(s),
I didn't know there was a shallow long pan and a deep long pan ... so of course, I had to go the Red Book and also more Lodge catalogs! Learn something new every day! (Thanks, Kevin #2!)

The picture in the RB (page 231) of the Deep Long Pan looks just like Kevin #1's picture of his pan. Also, the RB says it was made "circa 1906-1930's" and that "this was in the line of the Blacklock Foundry".

That intrigued me, so I looked that up too! Ha! Sure enough, the Deep Long Pan was in the Blacklock catalog. I knew the picture of Kevin #1's pan also looked like the picture in the 1930's Lodge catalog (granted, the drawings in their catalogs might not look exactly like their actual pans) but I was wondering if it was listed in other catalogs ... in an attempt to date it. Well, that same Deep Long Pan picture appears in the 40's, 50's and even the 1968 catalog.

So, the best I can say is ... it could be a Lodge Deep Long Pan. As for a date, it could be from the 1910's, but could also be from the '50's or '60's.

Bottom line: it's a really cool pan and one that, if it were my dad's, I would hang on to.

I have a gas stove and sit a shallow long pan across the front and rear burners. I mainly use it for cooking three or four pancakes at the time. I sometimes grill cheese sandwiches and heat tortillas for more than two people on it.

Back