Help ID for a friend

SteveL

A friend recently found a DO and Oval Roaster at a local (to her) antique shop and was hoping to ID brand & period. The DO doesn't have any markings but with the inverted dimples on underside of lid, I was thinking BSR but no size on top of lid. The Oval Roaster we've been unsuccessful with ID. I've found 2 with this logo online at ebay and a collector site (another oval roaster size 1 and a DO) but they didn't know brand either. Anyone seen this logo? Thoughts on the DO? :icon_scratchchin: Here's a link to the pics. Should be a slideshow (I hope).

Thanks for the assistance!! :D

Later BSR lids have the markings on the underside. Anything there? Is that a pour spout on the DO?

The Oval looks old. What would you say the letters on the TM are? TLC?

Later BSR lids have the markings on the underside. Anything there? Is that a pour spout on the DO?

The Oval looks old. What would you say the letters on the TM are? TLC?

Can't see any markings on the underside of DO lid. Was thinking BSR based on the inverted dimples. Don't know of any other manufacturer with them like that. Yes, there is a small pour spout opposite the rim appendage for tipping the DO.

I can't be certain, but the TM letters look like an LC or possibly CL. Here's a link to one like it I found in completed eBay listings. Same oval roaster except it's a size 1 instead of a 9 and I'm certain the seller was trying to embelish by saying possibly a Griswold.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-CAS...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I have had an oval roaster like that ebay one and thought is was foreign made. Have seen a number of others also. Nice pans and quite early. Never could figure out what letters were in the crest.

I have had an oval roaster like that ebay one and thought is was foreign made. Have seen a number of others also. Nice pans and quite early. Never could figure out what letters were in the crest.

Thanks Steve. I was thinking possibly foreign made as well. Maybe England. Who knows...She says it is quite heavy and the pic of the bottom she sent recently showed quite a bit of pitting. Shop wants $80 for it. The BSR DO she picked up for $25 and is in good condition.

Here's a better close up pic of the logo. Clearly an "E" in the middle. Still thinking it might be from England.

The mystery has been solved...so I think. I was advised by a collector of these pieces that they are very early Le Creuset. Makes sense with the LC in crest.

I've never seen anything to substantiate that Le Creuset, from its beginnings and not until relatively recently, ever produced anything but enameled ware. That they were founded in 1925, and as a quality-oriented company, would make one think they would not have produced anything with a gate mark like these. Perhaps we have another case of "it has a G on it so it must be Griswold"? Does your source have any better information they could share?

Back