• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Potato Bread

W. Hilditch

I'm bumping this recipe here so it is available to everyone. If you have bought potato bread in the supermarket you have probably been disappointed due to the lack of potato flavor and an excess of chemical flavor. This is the real thing and tastes like potato bread!

Re: Real Corn Bread
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Hilditch View Post
I'll second that request. I can not find a potato bread recipe that tastes like potatoes - in or out of a skillet! Always too much wheat.

Hilditch

Well you can't do without the wheat but here's Grandma's recipe

Ingredients
3 medium Idaho potatoes (fist size)
2 cups warm potato water
2 Tbsp shortening
1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp salt
6-1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Prep

Peel and cut up potatoes in a large pan with water and boil until potatoes break apart when stuck with a fork.
Drain but keep 2 cups of the potato water. Mash the potatoes in a large bowl with the potato water. Add
shortening and stir until dissolved. Set aside until the potato mix is lukewarm. Stir in yeast, sugar, and salt.
Mix in enough flour to make a thick dough that can be kneaded by hand and knead for 8 minutes breaking up
any lumps. Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough over so the top of the dough is also greased. Cover
with a towel and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place.

Knead again to get the air out and then cut the dough in half to form two loaves. Put into a greased loaf pan
and let rise again for 30 minutes or until it doubles. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Use a paper towel,
wipe shortening on the top crust of the loaf and then let bread cool on rack. Serve warm or cold.

You need to make double the batch because you'll eat one loaf right out of the oven . . . with butter.
Trust me.
Last edited by DSBradley; 10-16-2015 at 05:37 AM."

The crust is good, the crumb is serious good, and the flavor is great. I'm not a whole wheat guy, but without the chemical flavors this is good and it tastes like potato bread, so I won't change it. I used lard. If you don't have CI bread pans, others will do. This is not skillet bread. Six cups of flour + 1/2 cup for working is perfect for a 2 lb. bag of whole wheat flour for two large loaves.

Finally A Real Potato Bread! A "9". Thank you DS.

Hilditch

PS: My Hobart 5 qt. did the hard work for one batch. A double batch would have been too much for either of us.

After making this a few times I learned whole wheat differs per brand in it’s absorption ability. Start with 1 1/2 cups potato water and add a little at a time after mixing to get a good dough.

If using white flour it will only take about a cup of potato water. It does not hurt to tent with parchment paper for the whole cooking time.

Hilditch

That is one I'll need to try. I've had store brands before and didn't have much favor. This one just may give me what I'm looking for. Thanks for posting.

Steve,

Back