Enamel Find - ID?

TonyR

Hi, I found these online.
Never saw a number in diamond enameled. I like those and was surprised to see one in enamel.
Also, have never seen anything like the large pan. Does anyone know what this was? Supposedly these came from a logging camp.
I was thinking of buying them but they are a bit pricey. I'd only pull the trigger if they were rarities.
Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 00303_5VuTDMoVg3D_1200x900_zpsjie2rryq.jpg
    00303_5VuTDMoVg3D_1200x900_zpsjie2rryq.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 00f0f_7vxlQvEzzqz_600x450_zpsyratym2w.jpg
    00f0f_7vxlQvEzzqz_600x450_zpsyratym2w.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 70
  • 00U0U_jj2ojuPvGbq_1200x900_zpszsgfxjtw.jpg
    00U0U_jj2ojuPvGbq_1200x900_zpszsgfxjtw.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 68
The pop-ups on Photobucket are at least annoying and misleading; at worst malicious. It is for that reason the Photo Posting sticky threads advise against using Photobucket. It is not the user photos that are to blame, it is Photobucket not doing more (anything?) to stop it.

Could have been me...not sure. I came across this same pan on a road trip out west and took a few photos. My research was time consuming but I finally found some data on it and it was apparently made by German or Bavarian country in Europe and widely used in P.O.W./Concentration camps. Think they said meat dishes were prepared in it like meat loaf sour croute and wieners and the like. Wish now I would have saved the link. I did however save the pic so below is the Iron version without the enamel.

http://imgur.com/1DYJWEo

Michael
Don't know if anyone else said so but I'm very impressed by your ability to research and identify these really obscure CI pans, instruments, curiosities, strange things made of cast iron.

BTW
I have one I would like to sic you on. I came up empty handed.

Jack

TonyR, You may be pleased to know that I have tracked down the history of the enameled shovel nose piece you posted a few weeks back.
On a recent trip to Arizona I went by the antique shop that has the "black" Cast Iron pan identical to yours. I'm posting a few pictures of the one in Arizona along with a link of the Marienhuette Kotzenau foundry that has been translated from German to English. That facility has an amazing history and like so many other companies during the depression era it was forced to close the doors in 1931.
From what I can gather reading the link they were versatile in making most anything from small to large castings and included were pots and pans for cooking, both enameled and regular CI.
I would estimate that the piece you have was made sometime after the turn of the century between 1909 to possibly 1931.
Sure hope the links attached helps out. Always good to solve a mystery.

http://imgur.com/a/DWoC8

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...en-damals.de/kreis/kotzenau_marienhuette.html

Wow, you are good! I am impressed you found that.
Unfortunately, the posting is gone and the pieces are no longer for sale.
Actually, they were too expensive, and what in the world would I have done with that piece? I really only wanted the skillet, but that piece was awesome.
Hey, I have enough to cook in so nothing too heartbreaking.
Thanks for the research!!

Michael, I want to echo Tony's thanks; you are very kind to share your research. I have followed the links you post, and they are interesting. (Are you by any chance a reference librarian? They are also great at finding out such obscure info.!) Happy hunting; it sounds like your summer finds are pretty nice so far; keep it up!:D

No Librarian. Just an old country boy from Kentucky that took up the love of collecting CI a few years back. I have to give thanks to Bonnie Scott for me being so persistent. She has given me tips on how to go about with some of my research. I love to help our collectors when I can and the more difficult the issues are the better I like it. I might add that the Marienhuette Kotzenau CI was used in many of the concentration camps. It was a small blurb I read on another site which I found of interest.
I don't always find what I'm looking for but when I do I feel obligated to share with the CIC members.
Thanks in advance.

Back