Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > New Collector's Corner

Notices

New Collector's Corner A Friendly Forum for Those New to the Hobby. No Question Is Too Basic, So Ask Away.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Buy / Sell Forum Here?

I had to come back and add this. I am a guest here, allowed to use this site and adhere to rules and policies. I didn't create this forum, so it's like the guy riding the train--you don't get to push the throttle, hit the brakes or blow the whistle--you ride the train. This is a valuable forum and has helped me immensely--I'll abide by the decisions of those that do run the forum. Plenty of other places to sell things, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2015, 10:55 AM

Good question Ted. Maybe someone could start a sister site. No real affiliation but we all know that's where we go. But I would fear someone would feel slighted in a deal and make problems over here. Oh well back to the garage sales and thrift stores.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Forums are mixed with Buy/Sell sub-forums. It adds a whole other level of moderator management, and could very well open the forum owner up for liability.

If it were my forum, I'd pass on all that. Keep it commerce free. My opinion.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:01 PM

I'm new here but would like a place to put WTB ads..
Old 02-06-2015, 08:01 PM

It would be nice to buy/sell/trade via this forum, but I can certainly see how hard feelings could result from a deal gone sour. Probably best to keep the forum as is...
Old 02-07-2015, 02:11 AM

On my opinion I think this site is like a library only educational, I wish stay as is and not like a book store, there are so many places to do business.

Last edited by EdgarLopez; 02-07-2015 at 02:18 AM. Reason: correcting
Old 02-07-2015, 02:35 AM

There's a (Not very active) sub on reddit for buying and selling cast iron.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Castiron_Flea_Market/

Quote:
A place for those of us who love cooking with cast iron to seek out new interesting pieces, sell extra found pieces or trade with others.
I'd love to see some more action there.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 PM

I think that this site has a LOT to offer the way it is. My thinking is that this is a place to come and learn with no stress from deals gone wrong. This site does not cost you or myself anything other that our quest for knowledge. I for one would not like to see it turn into a cast iron sales web site, as it will have to cost someone.

Just My 2 Cents
Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. View Post
I think that this site has a LOT to offer the way it is. My thinking is that this is a place to come and learn with no stress from deals gone wrong. This site does not cost you or myself anything other that our quest for knowledge. I for one would not like to see it turn into a cast iron sales web site, as it will have to cost someone.

Just My 2 Cents
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 PM

I can see both sides of this one. And being the new guy here, my 2 cents doesn't carry much weight. Joining up here makes 20 forums that I belong to. I was admin on a small private forum once. It certainly can be time consuming. My hat is off to Doug for doing what he does.

That being said, a majority of the forums I'm in do have a classified. They seem to run with little or no problems. Like anything, rules make or break any situation. A good example might be the Coleman forum. Unfortunately, you can't go and see for yourself unless you're a member there, their forum software allows this restriction which is handy to keep out people who are just out to sell their stuff. And I forget which forum it is, but there is one that won't allow you to post in the classified unless you have a high enough post count, preventing people from joining to just sell stuff. But again, it's work. The good thing about having a classified is that where else but an enthusiast site will have the hard to find items that you occasionally need?, That lid you have, because the pot or pan cracked? To use the Coleman forum as an example again, it seems to me that you get a more fair price from a fellow forum member than you will from an Ebay seller.

And just to clarify, I don't buy or sell anywhere. I haven't worked in 10 years. I'm not allowed to say I'm retired. I'm considered a house husband. We get by. The cool thing about being an enthusiast is that if the word is out amongst your circle of friends, occasionally people give you stuff. Or you find real deals. I just got a 6" skillet for $4.00, and it turns out that it's a Vollrath, which, being a newb, probably doesn't mean that much to me due to my ignorance on the subject, but I think it's cool having something like this that's 50 or so years old.Can hardly wait to cook in it.