Lodge Arc Logo #12

LSandage

I've been collecting CI for a couple years. I recently aquired an arc logo Lodge #12 Skillet. What gets me is I can't find any info about this skillet online. I've posted it on a FB CI group. I'm told it's a rare skillet. Anyone have any insight on how rare or what the value might be?

Id like to see a pic of it....in my mind anything over a #10 is semi rare, but a Lodge , Im not sure.

The notion of rarity is probably more based on the fact that it's a marked Lodge than it being a #12. Prior to 1987, they only marked skillets (using the arc logo) between ~ 1910 and 1930. No recents on eBay to compare for value.

I've been told by a couple collectors that there are less then 20 of these skillets known to exist. And because I can't find photos or any historical listing of this Skillet being sold I tend to believe what I'm being told.
???

#12 skillets appear in Lodge catalog listings going back to the early 1900s. That they made so few (arc logo) that only a couple dozen survive would seem implausible.

I've been going to the Dinkys cast iron auctions for 5-6 years now... they are one of the few auction houses that do whole collections or even an exclusively cast iron auction... and they've been doing two or three auctions per year for the past several years... usually 2 or sometimes 3 day auctions doing 500 - 600 pieces per day... and I've never seen an arc lodge 12. and these sales usually have some rare and unusual pieces... 3 spout griswold 9, a griswold #1, 5-6 erie spider pans, #13 dutch ovens... so what I'm trying to say is I've been around and I've seen some iron... and I've never seen an arc lodge 12. (I have 3-10 except for 6 and 7, which have been elusive)... and I've had some offers on my arc 10 because its one of the few with the raised size on top of the handle rather than the more common size on the bottom. so yeah. I'd say your 12 is very hard to find.

I have handled a lot of cast iron. I started in the early 1980"s, when the getting was good and cheap. I have never seen an example of that pan. It's a keeper for sure.

Im not a Lodge guy per se, but wow thats a rare piece! Ive seen the pics of the Dinkys Auction, and they usually have it all. Very Nice pan, I wish Wapak woulda put an assist handle on their big ones lol.

I found this thread searching for any photo of a #12 early Lodge skillet. Several years ago we cleaned our great aunt's fishing cabin in Northern MS and brought home a one of these in Aluminum. I have never found a photo of one of these on the internet. Anyway It looks like the same mold pattern as the CI example in this tread.

Attachments

• IMG_0812.jpeg
    IMG_0812.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0814.jpeg
    IMG_0814.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 30
Since Lodge didn't produce pieces in aluminum, this would have to be a recast, albeit a very competent looking one. Aluminum skillets, at least those made by actual manufacturers, also always had wooden handles, since the metal's high conductivity would have made handles part of the casting "too hot to handle".

I found this thread searching for any photo of a #12 early Lodge skillet. Several years ago we cleaned our great aunt's fishing cabin in Northern MS and brought home a one of these in Aluminum. I have never found a photo of one of these on the internet. Anyway It looks like the same mold pattern as the CI example in this tread.
Pat, Pretty cool piece. I sent you a message. Curious on measurements on this being a recast.
Thanks, Corey

One would expect a used nickel plated skillet of that age to have the plating worn off of the cooking surface.

Back