New from TN-Seeking Advice

KatH

Greetings from Eastern Tennessee!
I am excited to be a part of this community. I have so many questions. My father passed away and left me with his extensive cast iron collection. I am here to learn more about the pieces and figure out what my next steps should be.
I am seeking advice and ideas for my future in the cast iron world if anything could help, please point me in the direction and I'll be forever grateful!

I look forward to reading and discussing cast iron with all of you.
*Kat

welcome to the club.

if you want help identifying things... post pics (easiest to get an account on something like imgur, post multiple photos into albums, then post links to albums here) Pics should include full shots of tops, bottoms, handles...

if you are looking for info on current values of things... probably your best bet is ebay sold listings. although I'm sure many here will have ideas about value that they will share with you.

But there is a lot of info on this site if you want to research things yourself. start on the castironcollector main page and click on the 'cast iron collecting' page.

Well Sir I have some advice.
This cast iron is apart of your family history now. You can sell it, you can give it away, you can use it.
I have been to many an estate sales and bought pieces that were over a 100 years old and then some, and the family member knows it family history but is willing to part with them. "Oh I remember my grandmother using this skillet!"
I have a BSR #8 skillet that my mother used all her life and I remember standing on a chair and she would let me stir the fudge as it was cooking over the stove and I got to lick the pan after it was all done. That #8 BSR is worth more than any Griswold or Wagner and we can't forget Lodge either.
My advice is to find those few pieces that were used by your father and use them. Learn the history of our cast iron in who made it and how it was made. The deeper you go into this world of cast iron it becomes more than just a dollar mark but it becomes a living history you are holding in your hand and using.
This is a great group with lots of information and many will help you with that. Post photos and what is needed is the bottom of the pan and if it has a lid, the inside of the lid too helps.
Welcome to the world of Cast Iron, it does get into your blood!
Kevin from Texas

Thank you so much! I will certainly start cataloging everything into imgur, that sounds like a great idea!

I am lucky enough to have many memories associated with the cast iron that I keep in the kitchen and use daily. My father had a complete set hanging in our old country kitchen and used them throughout my childhood. I also got to save the skillet that he remembered his grandmother using. I now have a huge amount of just about everything to catalog. Other than dutch ovens and waffle irons which seem to be in high demand.
When I say he collected, I mean he horded cast iron! There is so much that I get over whelmed just looking at it. I know there are some gems, some unsuspecting gems, and some worthless pieces. I look forward to sharing my collection as I start to build my album.

Attachments

• CastIronTN.jpg
    CastIronTN.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 24
Back