Lodge #14

Since those often go for about $100 (3-notch or a little newer with or without the egg logo) on ebay before you even consider shipping, I'd say the buyer got a good deal. You might want to consider a new Lodge #14 if you just want it for a user. I have a couple of old-ish 14SK's and a modern L12SK3. If I need to move the skillet while hot (from indoor stove top to outdoor grill and vice versa for example), I'll opt for my modern #12 unless I'm absolutely positive it won't be big enough. That giant helper handle makes me a lot more confident I won't tip or drop the thing when it's full of hot food. In my opinion that extra handle is so helpful on a giant skillet it easily outweighs my preference for a polish ground cooking surface.

I bought a Martin 14 in 1991 for $15. The guy was asking $20. Next to it was a Lodge 14 marked US. He was asking $75 for it and told me it was a World War II military skillet. Just learning about cast iron, I bought the story and passed on the skillet. Some research. I discovered that Lodge was marking that skillet because it was made in the United States. The Martin is personal wall hanger in our display and we use it to make a super deep dish pizza that will feed six to eight beer drinking poker players. I have several other 14's, the Martin is my favorite.

did you get it?

Nope. They sold for more than I wanted to pay. I did pick up a rusty BSR #8 for $6. My in laws and 9 year old nephew came to stay the night on Saturday afternoon and I showed him how to clean it with electrolisys. The next morning we seasoned it and cooked breakfast in one of my skillets. I showed him how to clean and care for CI. When they all left I sent the BSR with him. He was amazed by electrolisys. E also took a rusty hatchet and an old rusty horse shoe.

Back