Newbie's ebay adventures...

Their seems to be 2 very different price ranges in cast iron. Well more than 2 but Ill stick to the basic 2. Ebay/online and finding in the wild. Looks like you were about on par for ebay on most of your pieces. You should expect to be able to find them much cheaper in the wild but the range is all over the board. Also, pieces that are stripped and seasoned should fetch a higher price tag.

Also keep in mind that when buying on ebay, you're competing with people that likely either have a really fat wallet, live in an area with very little CI for sale, or don't have the time and/or patience to make cast iron hunting worthwhile or fun. For many collectors, the thrill of the hunt plays a huge part in what makes the hobby rewarding.

My two young kids keep my weekends pretty full so there is not much time for me to go hunting these days. However, now that I am seeing the difference between what is available on ebay (in my price range) vs. some of the higher quality pieces that can be procured through hunting I may begin carving out some time...

My only advice would be to slow down. If you bust out of the gate and buy everything now, your hobby will go bust in a hurry. Pick and choose, pick and choose. E-bay has never had a shortage of CI.

My two young kids keep my weekends pretty full so there is not much time for me to go hunting these days. However, now that I am seeing the difference between what is available on ebay (in my price range) vs. some of the higher quality pieces that can be procured through hunting I may begin carving out some time...

Mike, I think you will enjoy the hobby much more using the hunting tec.
For years I was like you as far as time. Now that I'm retired I have found that going to flea markets and antique stores "hunting" for cast iron is as much fun as actually buying it. I don't buy near as much as I use to, I just already have so many, but really enjoy finding a good piece of CI in the midst of "stuff". I guess it's the "thrill of the hunt" kinda thing.

Here in Idaho, cast iron is rarely seen in the wild and if it is, they think it's black gold. But every once in awhile you can pick up a piece for a good price. But I'll back up CJ's suggestion to have patience and slow it down a tad. I've seen good deals go by with better ones that come up.

Scott

I agree with what you are saying. Part of my story is that I have a bunch of nonstick cookware in my kitchen that has been beat to death so what I am trying to do is replace as much of the nonstick stuff as I can (skillets, griddles), which is long overdue. My wife and I have been talking about new cookware for awhile now, so that's a big reason for the recent purchase volume.

In this process I have also replaced all plastic cooking utensils with wood or silicon utensils.

There are other items on that list (waffle maker, cornbread stick pans, popover pans) that are truly hobby items that I had discovered while deciding which skillets to buy.

My only advice would be to slow down. If you bust out of the gate and buy everything now, your hobby will go bust in a hurry. Pick and choose, pick and choose. E-bay has never had a shortage of CI.

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Will definitely be slowing down now and might take the kids with me on a weekend day hunting trip...

Here in Idaho, cast iron is rarely seen in the wild and if it is, they think it's black gold. But every once in awhile you can pick up a piece for a good price. But I'll back up CJ's suggestion to have patience and slow it down a tad. I've seen good deals go by with better ones that come up.

Scott

yes, it would.

I agree with you, but don't hurt his feelings. Be more like the guy that took his money.

We need new blood all the time.

Please don't be offeded, I'm just goading you a little

Jack

LOL!! No worries. I asked for honest feedback. If I got reamed then so be it. I'd rather know this so that I can correct for the future, and so that other newcomers like me can learn from it.

Last edited:
Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. Certainly wasn't intended. Just calling a spade a spade. It seems these days lots of folks get butthurt over nothing.

Back