Gunk After Cornbread

Jack K

Friends,

I've just made cornbread in two different skillet (Griswold #8 and a Keystone Food Chopper #5). I oiled the skillets with Crisco before pouring the batter in. The cornbread easily fell out of each skillet when overturned.

However, sticky gunk is now on each skillet, near the center. I can scratch the gunk with my fingernail, but it will not come off with normal cleaning.

Any ideas on what the gunk may be, and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks!

Jack

Were the skillets cold when you rubbed the Crisco in it? If so, I would recommend always heating your skillet, melting your butter/shortening/oil for the cornbread in the skillet. Pour the hot oil into the mixed batter, stir, then add to hot skillet.

This should help with the problem the next time you make cornbread.

To help with your problem, use a plastic scraper and scrub brush in the bad areas. I would try to avoid any kind of soap unless it is well seasoned.

I did a little more reading on the lodge site and found the answer to your question

http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/what-is-seasoning

Tips and Tricks

If the seasoning on your pan is sticky, this is a sign of excess oil building up and not fully converting to seasoning. To remedy this, place the cookware in the oven, upside down on the top rack and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Allow to cool and repeat if necessary.
Occasionally when your seasoning works a little too hard with acidic foods or really high heat, you may notice some dark residue on your towel when cleaning. This is perfectly safe and normal, and will go away with regular use and care.
Some new Lodge cookware can have a small 'bubble' on the tip of the handle or on the assist handle, that can chip away and reveal a brownish color underneath. This is not rust. It is a result of our cookware being seasoned on a hanging conveyor, causing a small drip to form at the bottom. If the bubble makes it through our ovens, it is baked on, and the brown underneath is simply oil that has not fully carbonized. It is perfectly safe, and will disappear with regular use and care.

Hi Jeff,

The Griswold #8 skillet is nearly perfectly flat; the 1' of gunk circles from the 10 o'clock to 3:00 o'clock positions, about halfway between the center and the edge. I gave thought to putting it upside down in a 400 degree oven as suggested above, and I may do that, but I used it this morning and it cooked just fine.

The Keystone Food Chopper #5...well, 'nuff said. It's an absolute spinning machine, although curiously the gunk did not form in the center. As with the #8, it formed about halfway between the center and the outer edge, about 1/4 inch wide, from the 12:00 o'clock to the 5:00 positions. Just for fun I may do the 400 degree thing.

Thanks for the question!

Jack

FWIW, I like the lodge polycarbonate scrapers for issues like that. They take off goo without hurting the good seasonin beneath it.

Thanks Ron. I'd purchased a pair of them a couple of weeks ago - I've tried them, they seem to work...but I'm being gentle. I have goop on the bottom of the #8 skillet - so I think that I'm not doing a good job of wiping it clean before the next use. Now I have a better understanding how crud builds up on skillets ;)

Back