cold pan

LarryB

OK I was surprised as I could be. I had always assumed that I had to cook everything with an already hot pan. I did that always and had to clean out my CI pan,that was always loaded with sticky stuff whenever i cooked bacon. As it turns out I now state bacon with a cold pan and as a result have no mrs build up in the pan.
I wish I knew this a long time ago. I could have saved myself years of hard cleaning. Larry

Letting the bacon warm up to room temp for 15-30 minutes will also help the fat render better, resulting in a better-cooked product. Starting with a non-preheated pan also helps achieve this.

So glad I just read this about the bacon and the corn bread. Being new, I just thought the bacon was sticking because I had not seasoned the pan enough! Soooo, in scrubbing out the sticky stuff, I was also scrubbing out the new seasoning I had just been laboring to put on! Thank goodness for this post! Because of the problem with the bacon, I had not dared ventured to corn bread, but now I know how to do it right before I attempt it. This is such a great place to learn. Thank you all you "old timers" to this site in helping us newbies learn. Now as mentioned in another post, if I can just figure out how to send pictures to my questions all will be well!:bow:

Last edited:
I will have to try starting in a cold pan. I also have trouble with bacon sticking to the bottom of my pan.
I am fairly new to cooking w/ci, my major problem is that no matter what i cook, if i use bread crumbs, they instantly stick to the bottom of the pan. This happens in all of my pans, even if fried eggs slide out of them, anything w/ bread crumbs will stick...am i missing something?

I will have to try starting in a cold pan. I also have trouble with bacon sticking to the bottom of my pan.
I am fairly new to cooking w/ci, my major problem is that no matter what i cook, if i use bread crumbs, they instantly stick to the bottom of the pan. This happens in all of my pans, even if fried eggs slide out of them, anything w/ bread crumbs will stick...am i missing something?

Practice and technique. Bread crumbs are one of those things where they have to be properly adhered to the food, the pan has to be the right heat, and the food has to cook at the right rate. The crumbs will release from the pan when cooked, but if you cook too long they burn back to the pan. It's a tough one.

Do you ready your coated food for a few minutes before moving to the pan after dredging? Sometimes it takes a few minutes for the batter/food adhesion to work right. If not, the breading will come off regardless of how well you cook it.

I have been putting my meat into the pan the instant i put the crumbs on. I thought that would make it "fresh". I will ready my food for a bit before going into the c/i. Sounds like a good start.
Learning as i go, and loving every minute of it. (well, except for removing the bread crumbs).

Back