Howdy from North Alabama

KatNorman

I am so glad I have found this website and forum! I have used it to extensively research the pieces that I have at home. The information has helped so very much.

I do have some pieces that I can't figure out what the brand could be. One happens to be my Grand Mother's Dutch Oven. I can not find a picture of a lid that looks like this style. The handle on the lid is a solid half circle with a hole for a "lid lifter". I can't see any markings on the bottom due to "seasonings" from the past 85+ years.

Could yall help me identify this one? Would appreciate it very much!

Kat

The "tab" style handle is more often found on camp ovens, the idea being a potholder would be little help on a hot lid already over a campfire. On a household dutch oven, the tab handle would be troublesome more often than not. Possibly the pieces are not a match, and were used together simply because they fit. Or, the lid may have been produced by a small foundry lacking the technology to cast a loop handle. Is there a heat ring on the pot, or gatemarks on either piece? If you can manage a photo or two, it could be helpful.

I do have some pictures and will post them when I get home from work. The lids fit so perfectly together...and there are no "legs" on the DO. I cant tell if there is a fire ring on the bottom with all of the "seasonings".. :?

I do want to strip this and re-season it. The lid didn't allow any of the steam to escape from the beef stew I made in it a few weeks ago. I have borrowed it from my Mother.

The bail handle attachments aren't ringing any bells. The shape of the lid is reminiscent of a design of Griswold's, but that's where the similarities appear to end. Perhaps whoever made it used a Gris lid to create a pattern and then modified it to remove the drip rings and trademark. I understand tab DO handles were briefly seen used just after the advent of automated molding lines, at least in the case of BSR. I don't think there's a heat ring under the crud, but there may be some markings which may or may not provide clues.

Doug....thank you for the look. It's one that is puzzling for sure. I will strip it down and reseason it. Some of the "crud" needs to come off for sure. I want to see what is on the bottom if anything.

Again...this site is the best. I have just started collecting and have a lot of my family's pieces. Having a ball looking around our area for Cast Iron Treasures!

Kat

Back