Sticky Seasoning

SHenry

I am a newbie and just learning. I have seasoned 3 pieces and they turned out well but today I seasoned 2 Dutch ovens and they came out sticky and splotchy. I am guessing that maybe I used too much crisco although I tried to put a very thing coat on them. Would the best thing to do be to remove this seasoning and start over? Or is there a way to fix this without starting over? I hate the stickiness. Thanks in advance.

More baking will take care of the sticky, but not the splotchy. But the splotchy will blend in over time. If you wish to fix both sooner than later, you can strip and try again.

If I were you I would start over. It is a pain now but will save you time and agony when you cook in the future. Sticky spots, in my experience, remain sticky. I am sure it will go away over time but the seasoning you build will be uneven.
Also, are you wiping the crisco off after you apply it? The trick is to apply a thin coat and then go about removing as much of that coat as you can with a rag before you heat the iron up to high temps. I am sure you have gone here but here is a link to how this site suggests you season. I have done about a hundred pieces and I still refer back here time to time. http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php
Hope that helped,
Kyle

Thanks all! Great suggestions! I may try the higher temperature first and see what it does. Then if that does not work I will start again.

I have a Lodge #12 3-legged dutch oven which remained sticky for months after my first attempt to season it:covri:. After doing a little research, I stuck it in the oven again, but at a higher temp. The sticky was fixed:). Incidentally, I baked a loaf of honey-wheat in it the day before yesterday, and it flopped right out of the DO so cleanly, I simply wiped it down and put it away:grin:.

Back