Dutch Oven Recommendation

Adam_R.

Hey Everyone,

Went out searching for a Dutch oven this weekend. I want a solid user. I found a few, but quickly realized I have no clue about them. When I started buying skillets, I bought a bunch to figure out what I liked. But with a Dutch oven, this would be more problematic due to size and increased cost ( my wife is understanding of my new hobby, but 10 Dutch ovens may push her over the edge).

So to those in the know, what do you like using? I'm open to buying no name none collectible iron, as well as something collectably desireable. Cost isn't the utmost concern ( within reason) since I love using Dutch ovens and will get a ton of use out of it. ( I'm trying to replace my Bobby Flay branded Dutch oven I've been using for a few years)

As always, thanks for the input.

Adam

First decision: Camping or stove. Legs & flat top for charcoal. Flat bottom and domed top for stove.

Then size: Most #8’s are 4 qt. 4 qts irritate me to no end. You have to stay at 3 qts to be able to stir. There are some #8 5 qt. out there, but I’d go for a 6 qt. if I couldn’t find a 5 no matter what # it is marked.

I am more than happy with my 5 qt. Lodge DO. Even heating from the bottom and sides with no hot or cold spots. It is also heavy and strong feeling - even the top. The BSR I bought turned out to be a mild spinner but being thinner does not cook as evenly so it’s on its way out. Oh yea, a bail comes in handy.

Beware of new stuff other than Lodge at any price for a good cooker . Lastly, I don’t think a DO should be ceramic coated.

Hilditch

Hey Hilditch,

Good point, definitely stove top. No legs needed for me. Good call on the size. I like to make big batches of chili. Def looking for a larger size DO.

Thanks for the input.

Adam, did you plan on using your Dutch oven both in the oven & on the stove top, or mostly just stove top? I mostly use the stove top & while a DO will suffice for that, flat bottom kettles of the same numeric size as DO's are taller, thus more capacity. A #7 kettle will hold about 7 quarts & has a smaller footprint than a #8 DO.
Of course, maybe I'm just trying to justify the 20 Dutch ovens & kettles I've amassed since I started using cast iron last April! But it's got me covered for groups of 1-2 people (#6 DO, 2.5 quart) up to the 12.5 quart capacity of my #10 FBK. Plus a few spares in between :)

Hi Charlie,

Mostly on the stove top, I'll rarely throw in the oven. That's a good idea to use a kettle, never thought of that. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen one in my travels.

Back