old CI stove

I ordered a Griswold stove off ebay and it arrived all busted up. I got a refund and was able to keep the busted stove for parts. I found this one a couple of weeks ago, it is one of my projects. I found an old newspaper ad from 1945 selling them "ration free".

http://i.imgur.com/nEYnAjm.jpg

Nope. Different orifices required

Really? My neighbor took his gas BBQ and cut the regulator off and put the hose on a natural gas line he had piped out to his porch. Worked for him. The natural gas is regulated by the meter where the supply comes in. I know on a dryer you have to do this but I thought a stove didn't need it.

Justin, you better go get that stove. It's a great deal and if you don't get it, I'll be temped to ask about shipping . . . :D

Nope. Different orifices required

My experience with the Griswold hot plates that I restored was that Griswold used orfaces that are adjustable. I did not have to replace them.

gris%25252Cburner_1031.jpg

I was fighting the wind that day.

If you are not sure, best to have your gas man look at it.

Really? My neighbor took his gas BBQ and cut the regulator off and put the hose on a natural gas line he had piped out to his porch. Worked for him. The natural gas is regulated by the meter where the supply comes in. I know on a dryer you have to do this but I thought a stove didn't need it.

Justin, you better go get that stove. It's a great deal and if you don't get it, I'll be temped to ask about shipping . . . :D

I am actually contemplating it because i think i want a smaller one......

My experience with the Griswold hot plates that I restored was that Griswold used orfaces that are adjustable. I did not have to replace them.

Until you posted that picture, I didn't think I wanted one. That is gorgeous!

Im assuming that is painted, right? Standard high temp paint?

Im assuming that is painted, right? Standard high temp paint?

High temp paint. I am sure that it will burn off around the flame. I am fine with that.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

very good post, thank you. Now I cant decide if I want to wait for a single burner....

I have a single, but if I had to chose it would be a double burner. That way you can get yourself a 2 burner griddle and go big time.

I am looking for a nice 3 burner.:shootself:

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Justin, Jeffrey walked us through the restoration in this post.

https://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=628

Thank you Bonnie, I did not want to take over the post, you can get away with it. But I did post it to help anyone interested.:icon_thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Until you posted that picture, I didn't think I wanted one. That is gorgeous!

Just a little bit of work.

Orifices or air shutters? I haven't restored many, but none had adjustable orifices. I didn't replace the orifices, but I did have to adjust the air shutters.

Most CI stoves, if not all, are set up for propane. The orifices can be drilled out for natural gas. In either case the air intake is to be adjusted to create a blue flame, not like the yellow flame shown here. Just like a gas stove in a kitchen.

Hilditch

Orifices or air shutters? I haven't restored many, but none had adjustable orifices. I didn't replace the orifices, but I did have to adjust the air shutters.

I had to adjust both.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Most CI stoves, if not all, are set up for propane. The orifices can be drilled out for natural gas. In either case the air intake is to be adjusted to create a blue flame, not like the yellow flame shown here. Just like a gas stove in a kitchen.

Hilditch

Like I wrote, I was fighting the wind that day. To much air yellow flame.:eek:

Kitchen stoves can easily be converted back and forth between natural gas and propane by replacing the jets in the burners and a fitting in the regulator. The problem is finding the correct parts for the initial conversion.

Back