repairing burnt skillet

DonnieO

I didn't know what thread to put this in. I have a Griswold 699 no. 6 skillet, my favorite small skillet(my sausage skillet). Anyway I turned the wrong burner on to cook some hotdogs in a pot and left it. It burnt a spot in the middle-inside and underside down to bare metal. what can I do to re-season that place inside and underneath. I Love this skillet.

Thank You in advance,

Donnieo

You're very lucky if it did not warp or crack it. If you want it seasoned evenly, you may well want to strip the whole thing down completely with lye or oven cleaner spray, and start over. Or you can scour the burnt areas clean with a stainless steel scrubber and just re-season those parts. Since it's probably mostly cooking surface we're talking about, re-doing the whole pan might be the better way to go.

I checked it closely, I got lucky no cracks and not warped. I don't know how old this skillet is but it is very black and seasoned well, it had to take a long time to get this way. If I strip it down to gray iron it will take a long time to get back the way it was. I think I will try to spot season it first.

Thanks,

Donnieo

Back