First Griswold

BKramer

Just purchased this off e-Bay to replace my new production Lodge skillet. The gritty bottom on the Lodge kept giving me a hard time. This one is so smooth, think I'm gonna like it.

Anyway I was wondering about an approximate date of manufacture on my new acquisition. I know it is a small logo Griswold & a #5. Can anyone tell me more about it, like what does the 724 mean, & about the handle? The handle is like none that I have seen before. Also, it is gray in color, will it stay that way or the more I use it will it turn black? (My Lodges were black when new.)

The seller said it has been cleaned & a light layer of oil put on it to protect it, so I'm assuming I need to season it. I'll do that this afternoon.

If the answers to my questions are posted elsewhere here in the forum please accept my apologies. First post & all, I'm not too familiar with the site layout.

Thanks for your time & help with my questions.

Image Image Image

The grooved handle skillets are from the last of the production before the company that owned Wagner also bought Griswold, placing it most likely after the mid-1940s to 1957. 724 is just the pattern number (like a model number), this piece being from the working pattern that had no letter after the number. The color will darken with use, bare iron being gray, it's the carbonizing of the seasoning fats that turn black.

You can also shorten your cast iron learning curve by clicking on the Home Page link above, and then clicking Open All on the menu on the left side.

The grooved handle skillets are from the last of the production before the company that owned Wagner also bought Griswold, placing it most likely after the mid-1940s to 1957. 724 is just the pattern number (like a model number), this piece being from the working pattern that had no letter after the number. The color will darken with use, bare iron being gray, it's the carbonizing of the seasoning fats that turn black.

You can also shorten your cast iron learning curve by clicking on the Home Page link above, and then clicking Open All on the menu on the left side.

Thanks for the info & lead on the links. Will I find out what you mean by a "working pattern" in there?

That exact skillet was also my first Griswold. You are well on your way :)

Working on it anyway, though I'm not into it to "collect them all".

I bought this one to replace my Lodge of similar size cause I cannot get the super slick seasoning on it. I also have the smaller Lodge (L5MS) that I want to replace with a Griswold of the same size, but I have found that a #2 Griswold is going to be waaaaayyyy out of my price range.

You can easily find #3's of all makes dirt cheap since they're such a common size. If you're not looking to complete a collection and just want a nice small skillet to cook in, you should be able to find one for $5-10.

I've been looking at the #3's & the square egg skillet. I don't get out to many flea markets or such, so finding one on e-Bay for $5-10 may prove hard. The square egg skillet is looking like what I'm gonna hunt up as a replacement for my small Lodge, since it is closer to the size of a piece of toast.

You can easily find #3's of all makes dirt cheap since they're such a common size. If you're not looking to complete a collection and just want a nice small skillet to cook in, you should be able to find one for $5-10.

I got it all seasoned up (according to the direction in the link Doug directed me to), cooled down, used for brunch (breakfast & lunch) & then now dinner. It is pretty brown now, working it's way to black I can see. I did have a slight problem with the bacon sticking & then afterwards with eggs.

Got a question for you all, after you are done cooking in your skillet do you wipe both the inside & outside down with the cooking grease/PAM or just the inside?

IMG_0433_zpsf93c121e.jpg

The amount of sticking you get with your bacon will greatly depend on how much sugar is in the bacon. Experiment with different kinds and you'll get a feel for it.

As for greasing, I only rub down the inside with the thinnest coat of solid crisco as possible. The initial seasoning is enough to protect the outside and handle from rust.

Back