Fire Damaged?

KarenW

Hello everyone! First time post here, so I hope the picture link works.

I just purchased this griddle off Craigslist and I'm worried that it has fire damage. I haven't tried to reseason it yet, but when I wiped it with a paper towel, it was pretty dirty with rust. I am hoping this is only rust, but won't really know until this weekend when I try to get it cleaned up.

Also, the next question is about what brand griddle this might be. I am hoping it's a BSR, but it doesn't have the ridge under the handle. Again, I'm a complete newbie to collecting, but wanted a griddle and happened upon this one. If it has fire damage, my understanding is that it will not season correctly...and that would be a bummer!

Thanks so much for all your help!!

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/honeyk96/slideshow/Mobile Uploads

Yes, it is a BSR, "Century" series markings, late 1950s. I don't see anything in the photos I would characterize as fire damage.

I've had that orange red on the bottom of a griddle just like that! Process it through and after a couple layers of seasoning it just evens out.

That's great! I started getting worried because I paid $20 for it. At least it's worth what I paid for it. Thanks so much!!

Back