Lodge #8

Rick M

Could a skillet be a Blacklock and have LODGE on it?
What I have with this skillet is:
A raised size number 8 on top of handle. It is not a blob as I have seen photos of.
The name LODGE on the back of the pan at noon in an arc.
Raised heat ring with a single notch at the noon position.
Molders mark at 6:00.
Reading information on website has left me confused. Number on top of handle and molders mark on bottom qualifies pan as Blacklock but LODGE on the back of the pan at noon in an arc means it is not.
Mostly would this pan have made 1900-1910 or 1910-early 1930s?

Regards,

Attachments

• DSC01120.jpg
    DSC01120.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC01123.jpg
    DSC01123.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 80
There is quite a bit of uncertainty as to what is and is not a Blacklock skillet. If you look at the Lodge section of the RB, a photo of a skillet with outside heat ring, a small letter molder's mark at 6 o'clock, and a raised size number on the top of the handle is shown, but is not identified as Lodge outright, and includes the statement "This skillet may date back to the Blacklock foundry." From that, and quite a bit over the past year it seems, many have become fixated on any otherwise unmarked skillet they find, regardless of heat ring design, having a raised molder's mark and raised size number possibly being a Blacklock. But no one knows for sure about what Blacklock skillets looked like or if they had transitioned to inset heat rings before the foundry burned down and Lodge restarted the business under his own name.

Further complicating matters, and somewhat confusing, is a very well-intended and ambitious attempt to piece together a Blacklock skillet history by working backwards from early Lodge skillets and making comparisons of other incidental characteristics like reinforcement rib design and molding artifacts. The use of the term Blacklock/Lodge in the published work to describe skillets which are clearly just Lodges adds to the confusion for many, though.

I have added a parenthetical to the Lodge listing on the Unmarked Iron identification page to hopefully distinguish that Blacklock production was not actually a subset of Lodge Mfg. Co.

Thanks. I will call this one a Lodge, manufactured between 1910 and 1930. Still an excellent conversation piece.

Although Joseph Lodge was a partner in the Blacklock Foundry, their marked pieces such as tea kettles did not say Lodge on them, only Blacklock. Your Lodge arc logo skillet is a nice find. Many of them are sulfur pitted on the bottoms from use over coal fire.

One more question please. Do you know where I can purchase a book titled From Hand Pour to Automation authored by Carolyn Kellermann Millhiser?
I have not been able locate it anywhere.
Thanks.

You may have to email Lodge customer service and inquire. It was only available directly from them, but does not appear to be orderable from their website.

Here is what I just received from Lodge:
Hello,
This book is only sold through our factory stores. Please see contact information below.
Lodge Factory Outlet
Ph: 423-837-5919

Won't be a problem as I am just 45 minutes from South Pittsburg.

I found that book online at a website I never heard of before. They had a free PDF download but you had to give them all manner of personal info, including credit card #, address, etc., in order to get the free download.

Needless to say, I passed.

Thanks for the phone number, Rick!

I bought the book at the South Pittsburg outlet today. As a beginner collector and history buff I would call it $30 well spent. It has some copies of old Lodge product catalogs in it which solved a major point of confusion for me. The catalog published circa 1930 offers skillets as unground or polished or frosted.
Would you have an idea as to what the frosted option would be?

Best I can tell, "frosted", when referring to cast iron, indicates a satin or matte finish.

Back